>6 hammock experiment!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I had one of those EUREKA moments earlier on.....

I keep dabbling with my modified Ogripod design to get it to perform better, no matter the weather. One of my latest problems was that of air leakage.

Let me explain - My Ogripod is now a glorified underblanket that has the ability to velcro together from a footbox upwards over the occupier and become a hammock pod. It sounds great and mostly during cool seasons, it does reasonably well. My problem comes from the difficulty with which I have, in preventing warm air rising to a point where it finds a hole, escapes and introduces cold air - causing draughts.
Now I trial most of my designs in the garden, a garden on top of a (albeit junior) Cambrian mountain where it tends to get a little breezy!
I've been racking my brains recently to develop an "all encompassing" shell, that would keep the wind off the underside as well as help seal in the warm air above, without becoming a condensation trap. I have tried various tarps, wrapped in all manner of patterns, all of which felt distinctly humid. Today was the step forwards that might lead a little closer to Hammocking heaven.
Simply put its a >6 - go on, write one in the air - thats how the shell wraps around you - if the wind is from the direction of the arrow. From a ridge line, underneath on the windward side, up on the lea side and tucked in between you and the first section.
IMG_3118.jpg

It is made from the canopy of an old garden gazebo which I often use as a tarp anyway - but this, to me, is a major step forward in its capabilities. The spare material can be tucked around my head so I can breathe cool air whilst sealing in the air already warmed.
I must admit that I haven't tried it out properly yet, but it feel as though it should work well.
The whole issue is no lightweight - its still bulky enough to fill an 80 litre dry bag, though it will compress down from that and I'm just adding to it by including all these modifications. My ultimate goal is to develop it into something that will fit into a tobacco tin and be light enough to require a ground anchor.

I know that some might say " why not use a top quilt?" but I really don't want to be using the extra bulk/weight when it has the pod capability as it stands.

Anyway, thanks for looking, it might lead someone down an avenue that they hadn't been expecting.

ATB

Ogri the trog

onnen

Feb 18, 2009
south Wales
Hi Pete,glad to see you are putting your skills to good use,hit aproblem and working your way out of it is a dying art, it`s to easy to just buy something sometimes,and ideas do not get developed,all the best with your plan.
just had a quick look at your web site, looks good to me.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Sounds interesting, a completely new idea in regard to hammock insulation! (for as far as I know)

Have you improved your rough idea over the past month?

One problem I see: what if the wind changes direction? Wouldn't that ruin a good night? Or have I missed something?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sounds interesting, a completely new idea in regard to hammock insulation! (for as far as I know)

Have you improved your rough idea over the past month?

One problem I see: what if the wind changes direction? Wouldn't that ruin a good night? Or have I missed something?

No further improvements as yet, been a little busy getting other projects off the ground.

Hmm, a shift in wind might well be the nemesis of this idea - its similar to an undercover but has the limitation of directionality - so it may not be as versatile as I had hoped, fun experimenting though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE