6 days wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
afternoon people just trying to find out of people how much food and water ill need to take with me, let me explain
right as of the 23rd of October me and my mate are going wild camping down matlock for a full 6-7 days and its to far to trace for water and food,i will be setting snares and traps for some meat as i love hunting but as its been YEARS and way before i had the family since i have been camping for longer than a day or 2 so its mainly going to be tined food and pasta + water but how much is enough for two 28 year old blokes to make it through or has anybody got any better ideas to lighten the food load lol
if anyone faceys coming wild camping you are very welcome but it is going to be more cave man style and we have tarps and hammocks and ill put up photos when i can

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You will be able to find a water source ;this is the UK.Or has Matlock turned into a desert since last visited
While it can be slightly inconvenient I have found its always possible-study the area on maps and Google earth

Then just camp near it. Use a Millbank bag and some kind of purification tab or if you are sure of the source simply boil. Also think about rainwater harvesting a big plastic sheet or poncho will do the trick; one things for sure it will rain. Make sure you have suitable and adequate receptacles for collection

I don't know your full intentions but carrying 6 days of water each plus kit is just not really going to be possible
Alternatively you could get as close to your site in a car with a cache of water but even then it will 24 litres at 2 litres a day and rising depending on your estimated usage.

Sounds like a fun time though

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have never camped to far from a water source, but then again i live in scotland so we have no shortage of the stuff up here,
but if i was going to do a trip like that i would take at least 25l each .
Could you not carry your kit in and then go back for your water supplies ,just empty your kit out your rucksacks and go back and carry your water back in .And on the way back just tie the water containers on to your rucksacks .
Hope your trip goes well enjoy

Jason

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
let me know where you're going (PM might be best) and i'll have a wander down and impose myself for a brew, i might even bring you some water if you're not too far away!

stuart

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Could you not carry your kit in and then go back for your water supplies ,just empty your kit out your rucksacks and go back and carry your water back in .And on the way back just tie the water containers on to your rucksacks

And then come back to find all your gear has been nicked :D

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Carry 1.5-2 litres in a wide-mouth platypus and a smaller flask/500ml coke bottle (for day 1 convenience) - but find water-sources (am assuming you'll be taking map), so you can process your own by filtering and purification tabs or boiling. Simple.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Take the water in first, then your gear. People are less likely to nick water.

Jeez oh guys, can you not leave you kit on its own down there without getting nicked ! you should get yourselves up this way theres no one here to nick it , you just need to watch out for those pesky werewolves

Jason

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
Nice one folks for the replies I think it's going to take a couple trips but it's a he'll of a walk from the van to the camp but need to find a water source while we are there

johnnyneuro

Jan 5, 2007
Cambridge
It's not clear to me what you're up to, but it seems like you're parking near a fixed (wild) campsite and then carrying everything in with you. Right?

Staying in one place will cause of lot of erosion to your site. After a couple of days you'll have made muddy paths around the place, more importantly making sure you don't dig up yesterday's crap when you go for another is a real hazard.

If I were you, I wouldn't be setting any traps and snares. We're right in the shooting season now and if the game keeper finds them he will not be pleased. Not a bit. To be successful snaring you also need to know the ground very well and set a lot of them (20-30).

I don't want to put you off, but I would think carefully about what your planning. The Matlock area is not particularly "wild" and I wouldn't want to read about you in the papers.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Hey Andie, i would be interested in coming up and joining you for the night if i can find the time! Ill bring my milbank bag up and you can use the derwent for a water source as a last resort! :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when i was walking alot of miles my kit was 30kg for 4 days with 6 litres of water (which was enough for half a day) and 4 x 24hrs ration packs for food, the food also way not enough and would need to be added to as and when passing shops with carbs carbs carbs...

take dry mixes with you if you find a water source, a good bannock mix with lots of fruit egg and added bits will be really easy tidy and filling when used... pasta and rice also, meat can be taken for the first day, beef would be best or lamb, as there is less chance of bacteria growth.... chariso and cured or dried meats can be stored at room temps fine for long periods, jerkey would also be a good choice for the same reason....

water will be the thing that makes life hard mate, if you have no water at the site at all it will be a real problem, even a simple wash etc will take up valuable drinking water.... aim for 4 litres a day very very minimum...

if you need any more advise just me me dude....;)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
afternoon people just trying to find out of people how much food and water ill need to take with me...

If you are planning to hump it all in, then 1 rucksack for your water, 1 rucksack for your food and 1 rucksack for your kit ...each obviously. :)

Though I dont know why you'd want to carry in your water, Britain is sopping wet with the stuff. If you can find water along the way (which should be pretty easy) then just take a couple of litres with you, a water filter and dried packet food instead of tins/wet food. Then so long as you are not too fussed about changing your clothes, you should get it all in one big bergen.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE