58 Pattern bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just got myself a 58 Pattern water bottle to replace the cheap leaking clone I had. However I was under the impression that the central part of the lid can be flipped off to allow you to push a water filter in without removing the lid, but mine doesn't seem to do this?

Was I miss informed and if so which bottle has this feature?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just got myself a 58 Pattern water bottle to replace the cheap leaking clone I had. However I was under the impression that the central part of the lid can be flipped off to allow you to push a water filter in without removing the lid, but mine doesn't seem to do this?

The newer versions of the 58 Pattern Water bottle have that to allow a drinking straw from the issue respirator to be inserted thereby lowering the risk of NBC contamination. You might have an old version. The lids are easily sourced if you want to replace it. Give me a couple of days and I'll try and get my hands on one if you want one

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Damn you got there before me ;)

Check the date on the bottle if it's pre 1990 it's probably ok.

the flip lid is for the drinking tube of an S10 gasmask (and is redundant to non military users) but is a usefull way of identifying a genuine bottle, but before the S10 gasmasks were issued the bottles had solid "old school" lids. I have a spare solid lid for my other bottles.

the old school way of drinking with a gas mask on goes:
1 cover bottle lid and areas around the gas mask with Fullers earth.
2 take deep breath, lift up gas mask.
3 take mouthful of water,(did you use fullers earth again? can't remember).
4 replace Gas mask tighten straps and blow out hard to clear the mask of possible gas.........
Yup....potentially a mouthful of water on the inside of your gas mask for those who forgot to swallow!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
the tube was/is a massive bonus!

saying that there are some good fakes out there. I'd have to see it to tell you if it was real!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire

The older '58 pat btl doesn't have the flip off cap on the lid which incidently is for use with an S10 NBC respirator drinking straw not a water filter and is fitted to the newer (well it was made in the 80's) bottle.
The water filter for this type of btl fits on to the rim.
http://www.bwtechnologies.com/type_58_water_bottle_with_filter.html
http://www.bwtechnologies.com/replacement_survivor_4i_filter.html

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Ahh that it explains it, skanked by ebay again, dagnabbit. :(

I think I got that blurb about the water filter tube being able to fit straight into the bottle from my Pre Mac instructions, I'd have to check it again to make sure though.

MartinK9 if you can source one for me that'd be appreciated, incidently I have another lid (given to me by a kind member on here as my old bottle was leaking, which is also how I found out it was a fake as the lid didn't fit) but when I checked that one that also was an old one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The pre-mac does fit - into the neck!

2304171375_29b224c32a_o.jpg

Red

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
The pre mac fits in the neck and is a dream to use.
Dont think you were ripped off though - the bottle is perfectly good if it has the nato numbers moulded in, I dont know of anybody who actually uses a straw in the later versions anyway.
Has anybody tried hooking one up to a camelback bite valve - out of curiosity?

Cheers
Nick

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Ahh cool you learn something new everyday, though testing it with my Pre Mac filter it sort of just rbalances on top of the lid rather than sit flush inside it.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ahh cool you learn something new everyday, though testing it with my Pre Mac filter it sort of just rbalances on top of the lid rather than sit flush inside it.

Zammo,

If you still want the lid PM me your address and I'll try and source one for posting next week

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE