5 went mad in Fyresdal! BCUK 1st Norway trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
no body died then :p

Yeah me

carrying a 20kg pack through 1.5m snow with only size 7 feet & a 29" inside leg - bIoody killed me.:eek:

Seriously we had to give up on the mountain as the weather was sooo bad & snow was crazy deep. Camped on the lake instead, it took 1.5 hours to basically walk from the cottage to the other side of the lake. Dug the Lavvu in there. Made snowshoes day 2 but up till then every step was a nightmare.
We did benifit greatly from your advice and torjus took to heart all of your, erm, constructive critique, hem.
Weather was -10 ish at first but the second night dropped to -23 ish in about 5 hrs - temperature inversion from the blizzard in the mountain - next three days we saw the lot changing every few hours rain, snow, freezing wind - 20-30 mph at times.

My pics are here

Also my thanks to all of you for the very useful advice you gave at Swyns, we certainly went well prepared and had a much more productive time as a result.:You_Rock_

Cheers
Nick

PS the Lavvu smoke was no better that yours with the possible exception of the penultimate night when we were VERY careful to only burn dead wood and to make sure that the flogs were completely consumed - we only choked to death a little bit that time.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
So you enjoyed it then? - Cracking area isn't it?

Just had a look through your photos - what's with the colours in the sky with this one? :
P1010033.jpg

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Yeah that was amazing - wasnt sure it would come out.
Torjus wasnt sure but the colours were definately like that.
Best guess is ice crystals in the atmousphere was causing randomised local refraction. The colours were quite intense.

Cheers
Nick

Rod

On a new journey
Glad to hear you boys had a good trip. Your photos look really good there Nick. Not surprised that you had to have an alternate venue. There looks way more snow than we encountered. Though I bet that the lakeside was colder than on top of the mountain!

look forward to hearing more of your tales through the year
happy trails

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Looks like an amazing place to visit. I have to say I feel jealous, well not really as I'm not a jealous person, but if I was I would be .. !? lol

Nag.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I'm glad you guys had a good time and I am sure you will have gain loads from the experience.

I love to travel in the remote wilderness. It is only then that we learn our own limits. Every task takes 100% focus. I find getting a decent feed is a must otherwise hypothermia is only a small step away.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Fanstastic environment to experience. It was a great week.

Much of the snow was well over a metre deep and mostly soft so you would go in full leg length time and time again. Getting about anywhere except on the road was really tough. Snow shoes helped a lot but took quite a bit of making and then regular repairs and was still hard work.

Lighting fires was a whole new experience - mostly because everything was saturated with frozen water. The first couple of days we really struggled to get a fire going properly and it would go out as soon as you turned your back. We had to learn whole new techniques to get it going properly so it would take logs.

We learned the affect of a minor injury near the knee was very disabling.

Working with birch bark was great fun, as was making cordage from backstrap sinew.

Ice fishing with a net was an amazing experience - and yes we did catch 1 fish in 4 days!

As for smoky lavvo's - cough - cough - cough - wheeze.

Being pre warned to take food with us was extremely helpful, although being based nearer to the farm meant game and other food was frequently shared. Photos should be up in a couple of days.

We did make significant use of the backup cottage - which made for easier skills learning with light and warmth available.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Thank you for posting your pix! Looks like you had a great time.
After seeing all your Pixs of the trip, I see why the Finish and Swedish hockey Players who have played in Edmonton, Alberta, say it reminds them of home. Very much alike!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just been re-reading the (old ) thread and wonder if Torjus is still around and running this course/opportunity?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Due to aforementioned lack of prep this did not happen and so laavu filled with smoke most evenings

Don't you have to have to keep making draught holes by lifting the skirt of the canvas up and adjusting a cowel (attached to 2 sticks on the top) to get the smoke flowing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE