5 went mad in Fyresdal! BCUK 1st Norway trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Thanks for that Rod, thats gonna be VERY useful... Must admit I was already feeling nervous about this trip and this has just doubled it. On the other hand I now know more of what to expect and can change/adjust my kitlist accordingly.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Some great info and pic's there my friend. Just out of interest could you (if you get the time) put up a kit list of what you used? I know its a bi of an a*** but it would be great for members to know what kit you used what you found worked and didn't etc.Paticularily interested in what clothing worked well and what sleeping bags etc were used by you guys.
The trip looked great hope to do something similar over the winter.
D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yeah, looks like you had a great time. And that "shared trevail" has a way of bonding people that few others understand.

Now, how about a little more ... interesting ... version for the adventurous ones?

My buddies and I do these sort of treks, but with all our gear/food being the same as was available in the 1700's! Wool blankets instead of down sleeping bags. No parkas, no pack-boots, no cup-a-soup, etc. It does make for an interesting trip. Check out some of the pictures I posted up in the Chatter forum under 18th Century camping.

And we don't consider ourselves too ... hard core. There are people doing the same thing in that aboriginal/paleo hunter/gatherer time period for all their gear/food. Real subsistance stuff! Altho, some of our trips have been pretty ... caveman-ish ... but without the comforts of the Ayla Clan of the Cave Bear type companions. For some reason, most of the women we know decide not to venture forth into the winter wilds without enough comfortable gear to fill a large moving truck!

Have fun on the January trip. And pack LOTS of extra calories! And drink lots of water! It's pretty amazing how much water people really need when out there.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Rod

Glad you got through it OK. Can you give us (group 2) some insight into the clothing you took that you used, the clothing you took that you didnt use and (most important) the clothing you didnt take that you wished you had. The weight loss wont hurt me any

Cheers
Nick

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I emailed Torjus about the first day plans for the January group. Here is his reply.

Hi

You leave the airport at 10.00 local time. The drive from there takes
about 4 hours. The first night you'll spend in a cottage, where we'll
unpack and repack your bags to remove any excess gear and see if there
are some critical shortcomings.

Second day we'll head for the mountains early in the morning. The
distance is in excess of 1,5km and the climb is about 400m. There will
be no building of snowshoes this time. It takes too much time to be
justified for just a week.

About food, I have promised you two very simple meals per day. They are
very simple indeed. Only a little carbs and meat for dinner and very
little for breakfast. If you don't want to go hungry too much of the
time, bring extra food.

It gets dark around 18.00 in late January. Beds can be made in an hour
or two. Not done in the dark this time. ;-) Materials are available in
the form of spruce boughs. It is a 4 man's lavvo, it is however possible
to stuff 5 in there. I'll sleep in a rock overhang. This time we had 1
person sleeping outside out of his own free will. If you want to do it
that way, that is perfectly ok.

The weather will not give us problems. Rain will make us miserable
however.

I have some ideas on how to reduce the smokiness of the lavvo.

Regards
Torjus

må den 24.12.2007 klokka 21:47 (+0000) skreiv Richard Neal:
> I wonder if you could talk me through the first day Torjus. What time do
> you anticipate leaving the airport? How far and how long does it take to
> drive to the point where we take to our legs? How far, how many metres
> climb, and how long will it take, what with our full packs and getting used
> to snow shoes(?) for the first time to get to the laavo? What time does it
> get dark? What is there to cook/ eat that first night? Is there liight/
> lantern? How much preparation might be needed to make beds? Will this be
> in the dark? Are there sufficient materials to hand to perform this? Is
> there room in the laavo for everyone? If it is snowy/ windy will this in
> any way challenge what we need to do? I hear from the first group that the
> laavo can be horribly smoky. Any thoughts on reducing this, or is this
> just a fact of life?
>
> Richard

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
FOOD WHAT FOOD:tapedshut

ahem..

foodwasbasic.jpg

:nana:

Rod

On a new journey
OK,

Kit List: the stuff I wore:

• Craghoppers Winter Kiwi Trousers - never took em off all week. Warm as, without sweating my chebs off.
  • 2 pairs Extremites winter mountain toastie socks. Old and should have been retired
  • Icebreaker 200gsm boxers - 2 pairs
  • Icebreaker 200gsm long jons - stayed in kitbag, didn't need em
  • Icebreaker 150 & 190gsm merino tech T's - next to skin layer. Ace
  • Icebreaker 200gsm L/S Zip neck. Ace
  • Smartwool Merino Liner socks. Comfy
  • Thin wool Jumper with 3/4 button front. Worn over T shirt & zip neck. Ace
  • Swanni Ranger Shirt. Ace
  • Swedish army cotton snow smock. The wind proof. Ace
  • Ray Mears Merino/Possom beanie. The best £20 I spent!
  • TNF Nuptse down jacket. Toastie warm. Great pillow too!
  • Dachstein Wool Mitts. Fab
  • Barbour Wool scarf. Ace
  • Paramo gaiters. Ace - Easy to put on even when frozen!
  • Boreal Pamir boots. Sympatex liner 4 season leather mountain boots. Old, a tad too small. Should have been retired before going

Kit I Took but didn't use:-
  • Arktis Merino Zip neck - Worn once but found Swannie perfomed better
  • Paramo Cascada Trousers. Didn't need
  • Spare Icebreaker 200gsm LS Crew neck - didn't need
  • 150gsm Merino Balaclava
  • Spare Wool Hat
  • British Army DPM mitts with Wool liners - didn't need

I didn't need this kit just because the weather wasn't atrocious

Sleep Kit:
  • Marmot Sawtooth Down bag. rated to -9 degC. Extreme would be -12 degC. We had temp down to -20 deg C !! The absolute b@llox. I was never cold at night. In my top 3 items.
  • Thermarest 3/4 length Prolite 4. Used spruce bows for the under the feet
  • Rab Survival Zone bivy bag. Didn't need this

Other items used:-
  • Petzl Tikka plus. used 2 sets of batteries
  • Zebra 10cm billy. Our group kettle. New on leaving UK: you should see it now!
  • Spork
  • A "Combat Pussy"... What the Norgies call a folding plastic cup!
  • Nalgene Wide mouth 1 litre bottle with insulated liner
  • Windproof & waterproof matches. Firesteel & lighters are too unreliable for firelighting.
  • Good lipbalm, Neutrogena hand cream & antibac hand wash
  • Bolle shades

For working you need your clothing to be comfortably cool. When you stop you need to make yourself toastie warm. I had 3 thin wool layers on top with beanie, scarf, mitts & windproof. Then took scarf & windproof off in favour of down jacket. Swannie needed on top of thin layers followed by windproof when we went down to the lake for ice fishing. It was cold there. The Craghopper Winter Kiwis were also fantastic. Always comfy all day.

My top 3 items:-
  1. Marmot Sawtooth bag - faultless
  2. Ray Mears Beanie - best under £20 item
  3. My Helle Fjellkniven knife - I understand with the make laminated S/S knives now. Sharp and don't rust

For those coming to the Bucks Jan meet there will be a presentation on the trip and we will go into clothing in as much detail as you wish. If you aren't able to make it PM me and I will let you have my mobile. Talk is easier than type.

hope this helps

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Rod thats great thanks for taking the time out for posting that.Tis always good to see what works for peeps and what kit turns out to be unnecessary.
Cheers Dave

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Cheers Rod for the advice.

Unfortunately I cannot make the winter moot this year, but would be interested in any tips which come out of it. I'm putting together a kit list of what I will be taking and would be greatly interested in any advice on additions I should consider making.

One of my first questions would be about the inclusion of ski goggles - I've got some sailing sunglasses which have a plastic frame and are quite wrap-around, but would ski goggles be more prudent?

Everyone else on the Jan course - do we have a communal snow shovel or lantern of some description between us?? I've taken a quick look online for both and a decent shovel alone is in the order of £40 - perhaps we should consider all chipping in to a central pot if none of us has one already?

Cheers,

Ag

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com

Unfortunately I cannot make the winter moot this year, but would be interested in any tips which come out of it. I'm putting together a kit list of what I will be taking and would be greatly interested in any advice on additions I should consider making.

One of my first questions would be about the inclusion of ski goggles - I've got some sailing sunglasses which have a plastic frame and are quite wrap-around, but would ski goggles be more prudent?

Everyone else on the Jan course - do we have a communal snow shovel or lantern of some description between us?? I've taken a quick look online for both and a decent shovel alone is in the order of £40 - perhaps we should consider all chipping in to a central pot if none of us has one already?

Cheers,

Ag

Just for info, I have a pot and I am going to get a showel.

Rod

On a new journey

Cheers,

Ag

Hi Ag,

Yep they would be worth a punt. I would advise double layer - so they don't fog up. I only took shades as my goggles are bulkier.

I see Torjus has sorted a shovel, so you can save some pennies ;)

safe journies

Rod

On a new journey
Just noticed this:-

Quote Torjus: "I have some ideas on how to reduce the smokiness of the laavo"

I would suggest digging all the snow out and setting the laavo & fire at ground level; pack snow round the skirt to insulate from wind. Or, build a fire platform out of stone. As soon as the fire burnt through our hearth logs and started to melt the snow bed we got smoked like kippers!

Hope this helps

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!

I took a pair of cheap snow goggles (£12 from mountain warehouse IIRC) but they stayed in their wrapper in my pack as we didn't really get any blowing snow..might be different in January though - sun glasses were useful on the days when there was blue sky and low angle sun on the snow :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE