5 day July trip suggestions ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
looking do do a 5 day trip if anyone can suggest me a nice place to go ? I'm from the midlands but don't mind travelling.

I'll be using a hammock so trees are a must.

So far I've looked at Llyn brianne in wales or loch pityoulish in Scotland if anyone could shed any light on these or suggest a location :)

Thanks in advance

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Much as I love Llyn Brianne if you have the budget/transport then Scotland is the place to go,

Though you'll find many images online of folk pitched up around the Welsh reservoir camping is only legally permitted at two locations, Dolgoch Hostel & Moel Prysgau bothy. Overnight stays, ground-fires, fishing & swimming along with boats/canoes on the water are forbidden everywhere else but you can wander pretty much anywhere you like in this vast open-access area. Cell-phone reception sucks and if anything goes wrong then it's a hard yomp of between 6-8 miles to reach civilisation depending how far off the beaten track you are. There's nothing to see at the dam except a car park and public toilet, no cafe, no burger van and no drinking water available.

Note: the fords shown on OS maps near Moel Prysgau are deep enough to make 4x4 owners nervous. If on foot pack a snorkel.

On the plus side it's a water catchment area. Apart from the usual bacteria and sheep poo all streams are safe with no risk of heavy metal or pesticide contamination so a Sawyer filter or chlorine tabs can be used with confidence. Great views from the high ground in good weather and If you go Monday to Friday staying off the main road then there's a strong chance of not seeing anybody for the entire trip.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
With Loch Pityoulish being at the bottom of the Cairngorms you've got a big area to go wandering in :) Plenty of trees, great wildlife, light till late this time of year, not far from Aviemore for supplies. Also right by the Rothiemurchus estate, where the Norwegian commandos trained in WWll and Loch Morlich which is nice for a wander around and it has some nice spots for camping.
If you do come up I would recommend visiting the Highland Folk Museum at Netownmore which is not far away, free entry, you can make a donation. They've got some great replica Blackhouse's with real peat fires going inside. They often have demos and the such like over the summer, Thursday's IIRC.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Much as I love Llyn Brianne if you have the budget/transport then Scotland is the place to go,

Though you'll find many images online of folk pitched up around the Welsh reservoir camping is only legally permitted at two locations, Dolgoch Hostel & Moel Prysgau bothy. Overnight stays, ground-fires, fishing & swimming along with boats/canoes on the water are forbidden everywhere else but you can wander pretty much anywhere you like in this vast open-access area. Cell-phone reception sucks and if anything goes wrong then it's a hard yomp of between 6-8 miles to reach civilisation depending how far off the beaten track you are. There's nothing to see at the dam except a car park and public toilet, no cafe, no burger van and no drinking water available.

Note: the fords shown on OS maps near Moel Prysgau are deep enough to make 4x4 owners nervous. If on foot pack a snorkel.

On the plus side it's a water catchment area. Apart from the usual bacteria and sheep poo all streams are safe with no risk of heavy metal or pesticide contamination so a Sawyer filter or chlorine tabs can be used with confidence. Great views from the high ground in good weather and If you go Monday to Friday staying off the main road then there's a strong chance of not seeing anybody for the entire trip.

Thanks for the info mate! I do have the budget and transport to get to Scotland :) Where about in Scotland would you recommend ?

From what you've said, Llyn brianne does sound lovely but not very scenic ?

Dartmoor ?

Isn't most of Dartmoor crops and fields ? forgive me if I'm totally wrong here

With Loch Pityoulish being at the bottom of the Cairngorms you've got a big area to go wandering in :) Plenty of trees, great wildlife, light till late this time of year, not far from Aviemore for supplies. Also right by the Rothiemurchus estate, where the Norwegian commandos trained in WWll and Loch Morlich which is nice for a wander around and it has some nice spots for camping.
If you do come up I would recommend visiting the Highland Folk Museum at Netownmore which is not far away, free entry, you can make a donation. They've got some great replica Blackhouse's with real peat fires going inside. They often have demos and the such like over the summer, Thursday's IIRC.

Wow sounds like you know the place well. Thanks for the all the info you've provided here, it does sound lovely!

What's parking like around that area ? I wouldn't like to come back to no car lol

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Wow sounds like you know the place well. Thanks for the all the info you've provided here, it does sound lovely!

What's parking like around that area ? I wouldn't like to come back to no car lol

Its not far from me, roughly 15 miles :)

Leaving the car round this area is pretty safe. Cars are often left by walkers, etc; and very very rarely is there an issue, the crime rate is relatively low. If you leaving your Ferrari for several days I'd be more concerned :)
You'd be welcome to leave your car at my place if you wanted, I could drop you off.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Its not far from me, roughly 15 miles :)

Leaving the car round this area is pretty safe. Cars are often left by walkers, etc; and very very rarely is there an issue, the crime rate is relatively low. If you leaving your Ferrari for several days I'd be more concerned :)
You'd be welcome to leave your car at my place if you wanted, I could drop you off.

So sorry for the late reply Dogoak. I wish I had a Ferrari to leave for several days lol

That's a very kind offer mate, and one which is most appreciated :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE