5.11 TDU trousers. Who else is a fan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Picked them up a couple of months ago and I've only worn them a few times, but they seem really comfy. The adjusting waste is awesome, first pair of trousers in years where I havn't needed a belt (constantly shrinking waist), kneepads are a godsend for kneeling down shooting and keeping low profile, pockets are huge and all round a very generous fit.

Can't say I've tested them in the wet weather though which seems to be on the way.

Whos tested them more extensively? Like them?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm well impressed with the trousers, i had control of our budget for a couple of years, so we got issued these.

Rob

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I was looking to buy a pair of the Taclite pants a few months ago. but wasn't sure about the waist adjusters as regards the sizing. I went for a pair of the Blackhawk Warrior Wear Lightweight trousers instead. Other than a slight fade over many many Delicate wash cycles (Black for work purposes), they're excellent. Loads of useful pockets (14 I think?); the Velcro closures are a pain at times, but they fit well, have a tuxedo trousers style sliding elasticated waistband as well as super secure closing and zipper. The crotch gusset is a godsend for those 'sprawl & brawl' moments on the ward. Also, the important seams are double or triple stitched I think. There's also a 550 Paracord loop on the front belt loop (The loops are really wide too...strong) to attach a Carabiner/keys etc. Good trousers, so I recommend the Blackhawks also. they're 65/35 Polycotton which dries quickly too.

I might go for the 5.11 next time though just because...........

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Picked them up a couple of months ago and I've only worn them a few times, but they seem really comfy. The adjusting waste is awesome, first pair of trousers in years where I havn't needed a belt (constantly shrinking waist), kneepads are a godsend for kneeling down shooting and keeping low profile, pockets are huge and all round a very generous fit.

Can't say I've tested them in the wet weather though which seems to be on the way.

Whos tested them more extensively? Like them?

I've used them for about 4 years, all my instruction is done wearing these trousers and they suit this purpose well.
They are well put together and the knee pads are a good idea but the big drawback is indeed; wet weather! they soak up water like a sponge, walking through wet or even just damp, long grass gets you soaking wet in minutes.They don't dry particularly quickly either.

They were not quite as tough as I expected, the waist buttons being a bit poor and I've picked up a few small tears from barbed wire, brambles and even embers from the fire! but they are easy enough to patch/sew.

I only paid £25 a pair, I think you'd struggle to find a better pair at that price, but I wouldn't pay any more for them.

In all honesty, the old issue lightweight trousers, are far superior in performance and ruggedness, they are just let down by very poor styling/design.

If you want some really good field trousers; then check out these:
http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/Products/1055_CombatTrouser.htm

I bought two pairs of the originals in the early 90's and they have had really serious use and abuse but are still going very strong indeed. Only reason I don't use them now, is that they are DPM and I don't need to hide anymore.

The 5.11 canvas shirts are very good, though they tend to look a bit stuffed after a couple of years use;)

cheers

R.B.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I got a pair from M&M direct last year for about £10, cracking breeks,
The shirt is ideal for travelling, the hidden pockets are great for tickets and passports.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
British blades cleaned them out in a matter of hours after someone posted the link.
I think the shirt cost £8.
I'd love to get more, but not at full price.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Blxxdy Hxll! not me! not in a million years! They look like our lass's dads( 84 yo) pant's!
They don't even come with knee pads!:yikes:

No, I'd want bullet/splinter proof and also self heating/cooling, for that money;)

cheers

R.B.

Even if I had the money, I don't think I could ever justify buying them. They do look very cool, but theres about 100 other pairs of trousers at a fraction of the price that look just as good.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
I have some 511 gear incl trousers, compared to the Fjallraven range, a heck of alot cheaper, even if you have to pay full price!!! Loads of pockets, very comfy and tuff material, and in good drab colours O/D etc!!! I am a fan!!!!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an awful lot of 5.11 - love its ruggedness and the choices of fabric, colour, sizings and the pocket designs...their other gear - bags etc - is also very good.
I have been reviewing some of their gear for various magazines and it gets a very good rating from me.
I just dislike the companys name!
I cannot put "5.11" on my photo captions as the program rejects the decimal point and the "tactical" just makes me want to weep as is is capable of discouraging folk from buying this great clothing, as it gives the picture of some dweeb in black with black webbing and a blacked up knife in hand..... not the image my normal readers want to emulate!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Big fan of the polycotton ripstop 5.11 trousers. The knee pads are very helpful (and removable when you don't want them). I have trashed the pocket linings on my four year old pairs but thats it

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
got a piar of the 511 taclite pro which is a non-cotton fabric so pretty quick for drying out, they hold out well as I wear them everyday when out walking the dog across fields although after 2 years of wear the crotch tore when I bent down recently :( must be all them pies, but needle and thick thread and they are holding together well once again. I go the Tundra colour which is a dark green/brown colour thats real nice. Will get another pair soon, highly recommended trousers

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I have an awful lot of 5.11 - love its ruggedness and the choices of fabric, colour, sizings and the pocket designs...their other gear - bags etc - is also very good.
I have been reviewing some of their gear for various magazines and it gets a very good rating from me.
I just dislike the companys name!
I cannot put "5.11" on my photo captions as the program rejects the decimal point and the "tactical" just makes me want to weep as is is capable of discouraging folk from buying this great clothing, as it gives the picture of some dweeb in black with black webbing and a blacked up knife in hand..... not the image my normal readers want to emulate!

Very very true. The word "tactical" seems to be plastered over everything nowadays, along with "contractor", "subdued" and all the other silly jibba jabba words used in modern military times (collateral damage is the one that always gets me because its a "subdued" version of killing everyone and everything!!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE