5.11 Clothing Review

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
After spending many years trying to find an alternative to military surplus clothing for my outdoor activities, I found an advert on an American web site for 5.11 clothing, I thought this is just the ticket, a selection of colours and a range of sizes to fit from Ronnie Corbett to Arnie and a selection of materials. A little more searching for a UK supplier I found only a few, I was looking for one that could hopefully supply me from stock and that offered the best price, that seemed to be a real problem to start with, being a rather portly ex-bodybuilder, it has left me with unusual sizes! Most of the suppliers that I found only stocked “standard “ sizes and could not be bothered to order in what I wanted, although the importers (Edgar Bro’s) assured me that from their perspective it was not an issue, I then found www.polimil.co.uk (this company is the outdoor lovers dream, check every item on this site), not only were they the cheapest, but they had my sizes in stock, I ordered the vest, shirt and trousers in 100% cotton canvas, and the neoprene knee pads, I chose cotton for reasons that I am sure many of you will appreciate, and so far my choice has been the right one.

In my opinion the Americans have always had very high standards, this really is the case with 5.11, I have checked every square inch of this clothing, and could not fault it. Triple stitching and bar tacked in all the high stress areas makes sure that your new outfit does not fall apart.
The vest and trousers are made from the same 8.5oz cotton canvas material which makes it very hard wearing, but does not take too long to dry when wet, the shirt is made from a slightly lighter 5.4oz version of the same material. I you are anything like me and need lots of pockets then this has to be for you, when wearing all three items I have a total of 27 pockets, I have never been so spoilt for choice. The shirt and vest have excellent ventilation in the back, which is a godsend in the warmer weather.

With all of this you would expect this kit to be very industrial work wear looking, but this is not the case, its crisp enough to wear everyday, and believe me there is rarely a day goes by where I am not wearing a least one item of this kit.

I have had this kit for a while now, and have had it cooked by the sun, sopping wet and caked in mud, it washes well and retains its colour, at a guess I would say that it has been washed around twenty times and still looks like I have just unpacked it, being 100% cotton it makes it safer to wear around an open fire, and could lend its self to waterproof and fire retardant treatments, although I have not done this yet.

The knee pads were a very worthwhile investment, the trousers not only have a double seat, but 5.11 have given them double knees with a built in pocket that takes the purpose made 6mm thick neoprene rubber knee pads, these can be inserted when needed and although the feel a little unusual to start with the benefits are well worth it, especially when bow drilling and when kneeling in my canoe.

Conclusion

This has to be some of the best kit I own, I am going to give it 10/10, I really cannot fault it in any way, and at Polimil’s prices good value for money.
I am so impressed with this clothing I will be ordering more.
Definitely no more army surplus for me. :)

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I'm a huge fan of 5.11 gear. I virtually live in the stuff.
As Chopper says the bigger firms just ain't interested in getting sizes outside 'the norm' - Niton wanted to charge me (from memory) about twenty sheets extra to buy 36" leg strides and then 'phoned Emma @ Edgars to tell her off for putting me on to them.
Polimil are a completely different story, great prices and great service. I now buy all my 5.11 stuff from them.
As well as the cotton stuff I've got some of the nylon range for warmer wear, although for obvious reasons this may not be such a good idea for firemaking.
5.11 boots are worth a look for everyday wear, I have a pair of the 8" zipper style. Once you get your head around the idea of a boot with a zip these are great - easy in and out.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
there was a 5.11 shirt review in the BCUK magazine where it was tested in the jungle for two months, it got very good marks! (I should know I was the reviewer)

dont be tempted to buy the 5.11 trousers though, where 5.11 have got it so right with the shirt they have also managed to get it very very wrong with the accompanying trousers!!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Stuart said:
dont be tempted to buy the 5.11 trousers though, where 5.11 have got it so right with the shirt they have also managed to get it very very wrong with the accompanying trousers!!

I have heard that the trousers aren't up to scratch, however the shirts are fantastic and very very hardwearing.

M

magicaltrevor

So can somebody maybe recommend an alternative pair of trousers to the 5.11 pair? Ideally less than £50 and available in a nice green .... mmmm green :D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Lurch said:
Don't understand. :confused:
I love 'em, best strides I have ever bought.
What didn't you like?

I tested the cotton and nylon 5.11 tactical trousers both here in wales and in borneo. I was extremely disappointing with them especially after the exceptional design and build quality of the shirts; I was left with the distinct feeling that the designers must have exhausted their creative energy on the shirt and the trousers were merely an after thought.

The trousers are available in cotton or nylon canvas but both have a similar fit and feel to a pair of jeans with all the associated drawbacks, they are heavy, they take an age to dry and cut appears to have been inspired by skateboarders because the low crotch is totally unsuitable for serious walking. They noticeably bind around the thighs and when the trousers become wet this binding becomes so pronounced as to physically restrict your movement to the point where attempting to step up onto a log results in the wearer being forced to grasp the fabric around their thighs and hoist them up like a lady in an evening gown negotiating a puddle.

Whilst they were unsuitable for walking in the bush, the nylon version seemed quite robust and was not nearly as bad as the cotton pair which failed to make it to the jungles of Borneo at all; instead they started to fall apart here in the forests of Wales before I even left.

With the cotton version the brass popper on the fly disintegrated on the first day of use and before the end of the second day the fabric on the seat was already scagged and torn by a minor brush with a snapped branch! Over the following weeks the hems of the trouser legs and pockets were also starting to fray, 5.11 must be aware of this problem as I noticed that on the nylon version the pockets had been reinforced at the point where the fraying had occurred.

The one redeeming feature of the trousers was the deep back pockets capable of holding maps and other documents which due the diagonal opening are easily accessed on the move and contrary to intuition do not seem to hinder sitting even whilst in use, however even this feature is spoiled by the fact that the 8.5 inch wide opening to these huge pockets is held closed with a single 1 inch wide section of Velcro leaving over 3 inches either side gaping open for small objects to exit though as I discovered when I hung the trousers up on my hammock line only for the contents of these pockets to spill out into the mud.

There is also a pocket on each thigh where one is accustomed to finding a map pocket, though I cannot fathom what these pockets were intended for. They are far too small to take a map and instead of being rectangular they are square, they are also bellowed so putting anything in them which is not flat results in them bulging out over the knee, the only object I could find which satisfactorily fills them is a CD case!

oh and since writing this my cotton 5.11 trousers have caught alight when a tiny ember form a cedar bark tinder bundle fell onto them during a bowdrill fire practice. Leaving a smouldering hole in the leg the size of a 50p by the time I successfully smothered it out. I have never had a pair of cotton trousers catch alight so easily!

the 5.11 shirts are great though, by far my favourite shirt design which makes it all the more surprising that the trousers are so bad.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Stuart said:
Whilst they were unsuitable for walking in the bush

Maybe that is the rub of the problem? You find the shirts great for bushy but perhaps that is by accident rather than design.

Clearly these units aren't designed for the ulu but for a distinctly more urban environment, in which I have found them excellent. More pockets than I can shake a stick at, loose fit for comfort and robustly put together with a smart casual appearance which doesn't scream tactical at you like a pair of BDU style strides.

However I can concur with your observation regarding the poppers, I think there has been at some stage a batch manufacture issue. I have several pairs which have not failed after many months but two pairs (bought at the same time) had popper failures within days of each other.

Build style of the shirts has changed to a easy-care style but I haven't noticed any change lately with the strides.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Stuart said:

I totally disagree with this comment, I swear by them, not at them! :)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I have been using 5.11 products for a very long time now. Why, because there products are designed for law enforcement, whether that be as a police, SWAT, security, close protection, loss prevention officer or door staff, which means they have features that meet the job requirement and more importantly they are recognised as uniform even here in the UK.

The covert range of clothing is great for carrying and concealing equipment especially covert communication systems. There shirts are designed to be worn over body armor and the trousers are predomently designed for the US police officer and there pockets are build around there equipment and the documents and forms they have to carry, hence the map pocket is not a map pocket but a document pocket.

On the whole 5.11 is great, rugged clothing that is generally well engineered but the US market is less open to technical materials than we are, it is unusual to find goretex and other technical materials in law enforcement out there.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Lurch said:
Maybe that is the rub of the problem? You find the shirts great for bushy but perhaps that is by accident rather than design.

Clearly these units aren't designed for the ulu but for a distinctly more urban environment, in which I have found them excellent.

I completely agree they are well suited to an urban environment for which they are quite well designed, they are however on par with a pair of jeans in there lack of suitability for use in the wilderness.

Adi Fiddler I appreciate your remarks, but please understand that the comments I make in referance to the quality and design of a product on these forums is almost always exclusively with regards to its use in the bush, where the ability to worn be over body armour and operate with covert communications equipment are not prime considerations

I could write a praise filled article on the Joy of driving an Aston Martin DB9, but if I where then to submit it to an off road forum it would be slightly misleading.

in this case regardless of its intended use, the 5.11 shirt is superb in the bush, where as the trousers are unsuitable.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Stuart My point is that all of 5.11 product range is great for the law enforcment role but take it away from that and it does not perform so well.

I would not wear any of the 5.11 stuff in the wilderness.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
magicaltrevor said:
So can somebody maybe recommend an alternative pair of trousers to the 5.11 pair? Ideally less than £50 and available in a nice green .... mmmm green :D

I have found these to be tough and long lasting, however they do not have the really deep back pocket of the 5.11 but make up for this with roomy cargo pockets each of which has an internal pocket suitable for a multitool or folding knife.

http://www.kmnw.co.uk/sigarms.htm

Oh and they have removable knee pads so are comfy in the canoe (in summer)

:)

M

magicaltrevor

sandbender said:
I have found these to be tough and long lasting, however they do not have the really deep back pocket of the 5.11 but make up for this with roomy cargo pockets each of which has an internal pocket suitable for a multitool or folding knife.

http://www.kmnw.co.uk/sigarms.htm

Oh and they have removable knee pads so are comfy in the canoe (in summer)

:)

Look good, might give them a shot. Thanks for that Sandbender

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Stuart said:
in this case regardless of its intended use, the 5.11 shirt is superb in the bush, where as the trousers are unsuitable.

I figured this is what you meant, thanks for clarifying.

I didn't like to think people would go away thinking that 5.11 strides were junk full stop when they could be missing out on a great urban wear.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
magicaltrevor said:
Look good, might give them a shot. Thanks for that Sandbender

I know that 'Richie' from this forum can get them cheap through his job, if enough people show interest maybe we can get him to organise a 'group buy'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE