40th Birthday help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thorpey0

Aug 28, 2012
Durham
Hi,

It is my 40th next year and I would love to have someone make me a bushcraft knife that will last me and maybe even give me something to pass on to my son.

While I would love an Alan Wood Woodlore, £600 is pushing it a bit! I am looking at a Ben Orford knife or maybe someone else (suggestions would be great!) and wondered what wood would make the perfect handle and what else I should be looking for?

At the moment I get by with an Enzo Trapper with curly birch handle, it holds a good edge and works so I just want something similar but better and unique....

Suggestions...? Thanks

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
As Man of Tanith says. Both have done work for me and are excellent craftsmen and both damn nice blokes.

Can I suggest you consider a blade in Elmax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Go for hand forged if it's a special birthday!

The fancy knives all cleanly cut and shaped from stock steel are lovely, but nothing says special like a hand forged knife. That's my perspective anyway.

And there really are loads of talented makers on here, some are less well known than the more popular names and actually make (in my opinion) nicer looking stuff!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
FGYT is Duncan as Dorset Woodland Blades.

Elmax. Newish metal. Best qualities of Carbon a Steel and Stainless. Absolutely excellent stuff. Mark made my custom blade from it and everything since seems vastly inferior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Elmax is good.... bit expensive now the supply in the US has dried up... need to go to the UK supplier who have a minimum order charge of £125 and a fixed £32 delivery charge. Very few places ever have it, as the company who produce it don't sell to resellers, only end users.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Plenty of cracking makers have been recommended chap, my advise is try and have it with your own personal touches to make it individual to you, that way it's special!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Another thought is to get an idea of what you like in a knife so you have ideas and preferences to give to the maker ie handle shape size material and blade shape size length. Also sheath preferences?? Just some thoughts
Oh and happy birthday 👍🎉

Sent from somewhere?

thorpey0

Aug 28, 2012
Durham
That's the thing I guess, so much choice, so little experience! I know the length and thickness of blade that's about it! Apart from it being a bushy knife, but not really a woodlore clone....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE