4000th post competition!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Awake before dawn, but there's a robin singing merrily to himself, and a blackbird chooking quietly telling him it's too early.
You're awake now though, so up and go and have a look at the world...pull on a jumper, it's chilly, and get the kettle on :)
Nose out of the door, and it's looking promising. Brew up, think about breakfast.....go for a walk around instead. Spot the rabbits, and catch a glimpse of the fox. Hear but can't quite see the deer. Realise that it's grown light and the dawn chorus is really in full orchestral mode :) think breakfast, so wander back round to the house. Get the fire going and burrow through the fridge....eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, thick bread and butter, find the sauce... and another brew up.
Happy man :D
Clear up, decide you're going back out :cool:
Jacket, boots, bag, hat, camera (do you have a dog, I forgot to put the dog in the story) and off out.
It's been mild, really mild, and there's still munchies to forage. Rosehips worth a nibble, a few sodden wet and really tart brambles, wild cress, dockens, nettles too, and there are mushrooms still popping up. Stirring through the leaf litter, all kind of muted now and ready to mulch down...there's an old puffball, and it's still worth a kick to see the cloud come out and spread around :)
Get a good walk in, breath showing cold and white as you slog through the muddy overgrown bits.
Sun's starting to come up, low and sharp in the eyes, not used to the glare at this time of year.
Something bright in the dark of the wood though, so duck down and wriggle through to have a look, and it's a holly with berries :D
Cut a bit, feel good about the world, wish it all well, and head on home with a bit of Christmas cheer.

Merry Christmas Cameron :D

cheers,
Toddy

Lovely piece Toddy, I was there myself.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
its that time again! Four thousand posts- I can't keep quiet ;).

Well i think I'll let the competition run until the 1st January 2015 and then I'll announce the winner! The secret surprise prize(s) may not be posted for a while due to the hectic times. The competition is to write a few sentences describing what you think would be my perfect outdoorsy day out/ bimble would be and then whoever comes closest is the winner!

Get entered and good luck everyone!

Provide a few wee clues please:

1. What type of hammock companion do you prefer? (We can't simply rely on BR's take on this.)
2. Would it involve Loch Arkaig?
3. Do you crave bodily contact with Ventile?
4. Is a knife with a guard a problem?
5. Do you like muffin and/or crumpet?
6. Does Catweazel still hold a place in your heart?
7. If you had a choice of thumb stick shank would it be hazel, ash or holly?
8. Are you of a suitably open mind that would not prejudge an assertion that the months spent within the backwoods during their gift of "mellow fruitfulness" is something not fully realised until the scent of freshly ignited cordite hangs momentarily heavy in an Autumn mist?
9. Do you dig Herbert Howells' "Elegy for Solo Viola, String Quartet and String Orchestra"?
10. Do you believe in Father Christmas?

K

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Provide a few wee clues please:

1. What type of hammock companion do you prefer? (We can't simply rely on BR's take on this.)
2. Would it involve Loch Arkaig?
3. Do you crave bodily contact with Ventile?
4. Is a knife with a guard a problem?
5. Do you like muffin and/or crumpet?
6. Does Catweazel still hold a place in your heart?
7. If you had a choice of thumb stick shank would it be hazel, ash or holly?
8. Are you of a suitably open mind that would not prejudge an assertion that the months spent within the backwoods during their gift of "mellow fruitfulness" is something not fully realised until the scent of freshly ignited cordite hangs momentarily heavy in an Autumn mist?
9. Do you dig Herbert Howells' "Elegy for Solo Viola, String Quartet and String Orchestra"?
10. Do you believe in Father Christmas?

K

1. Kiera will more than suffice
2.quote possibly
3.yes
4.most probably
5 crumpet
6. Haven't a clue
7.hazel
8.probably not
9. No idea
10.of course, who else delivers all those pressies :p

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well I think I may have posted it at the wrong time are the forum seems quieter than usual so a shame there weren't as many entries as last time, however, today is the day and the winner is Toddy! Congratulations! I'll send you a PM and send the prizes of ASAP :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well done for putting this on, Cameron, and congratulations on the post count; I think you're right, with hindsight the Christmas period is probably very busy for those with family commitments of one sort or another........

You've still got your post count, and Toddy has a nice prize for a nice bit of writing, so all's well with the world, eh?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well done for putting this on, Cameron, and congratulations on the post count; I think you're right, with hindsight the Christmas period is probably very busy for those with family commitments of one sort or another........

You've still got your post count, and Toddy has a nice prize for a nice bit of writing, so all's well with the world, eh?

Yeah, it's all good and the way I chat it'll not be long till the 5k :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Happy New Year Cameron, sorry I missed your great competition, (I did have an entry roughed out but the thought of typing it into a phone keypad made me too late to enter, sorry).
Well done to Toddy, I enjoyed her and all the entries. So congratulations on the post count and well done to Toddy for being the winner.

TTFN,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE