4-Season, Wide Sleeping Mat Needed Quickly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks, Badger, but I think I'm going to go with a lightweight inflatable and a survival blanket underneath for insulation.

Would that work, by the way?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Thanks, Badger, but I think I'm going to go with a lightweight inflatable and a survival blanket underneath for insulation.

There is no reason it won't work! What you are doing is creating a thermal barrier between the ground and yourself, with a comfort level on top of that. I use a heavyweight reflective blanket as an extra groundsheet in my tent in winter and it makes a dramatic difference. If you take a look at the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm, it's basically an inflatable mattress with a foil survival blanket inside it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermarest-NeoAir-XTherm-Mattress-Large/dp/B005I6UDJO
The way I have suggested gives you the same type of combination but for over £140 less ;)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Brambles - quite right, Can't imagine why I thought that 1 cm = 25 mm. All I can think of is that I saw "1" and imagined 1 inch, which is 25 mm. Duh. SO not that much difference between the Karrimor and the Highlander, though they make different claims. I think -5C must be a survival temp rather than a "comfort" temp. As i said earlier, I have used a 10-12 mm pad to a little below 5C (in a hammock). But I would want a little more if I was going far from the car in really freezing weather.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

A survival blanket won't work mate.. No thermal barrier. Being made of mylar and only microns thick the cold will come through and cool the air in the inflatable mat, ergo cooling you.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It is not an insulator but it will act both as a vapour barrier and to reflect heat/cold. For a wee bit more than the £15 budget the OP could get both the Karrimat and the Campri inflatable and put the air over the foam.

Last edited:

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Just a quick update - it's the least I can do after all the help I've had.

Had a wasted trip to my local SportsDirect store today - they didn't have any of the items I'd looked up and/or been pointed to on their website :mad:

Must confess I'm running out of time (and enthusiasm, if I'm honest). So far I've spent about £70 (of money I didn't really have) on additional gear for this one trip and need to spend even more if I'm to go. Need to go and investigate how much SD charge for their 24hr delivery service, but I have to confess my desire for this trip is around 60% of what it was.

[Edit] Just spent another £30 of money I can't really spare on three items from amazon (insulated foil roll mat, self-inflating sleeping mat and a waterproof trappers hat).

Will they arrive in time? Probably not.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE