3mm Dyneema for ridge line.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Well i tried my new setup the other night and can now state some facts.
The line i got is not dyneema, it will not hold a prussic loop/knot and has more stretch than 550 paracord.
Nite ize figure 9 small, not able to hold any weight, as soon as i pulled tension on the line it bent and when i tried to put the pegs in the ground it bent the thing completely!!!
and the small carabiner i bought that was supposed to be able to withstand the weight of a bergen being pulled up a mountain........snapped as i was applying tension on the figure 9......
so all in all a crap night out and a waste of over £20.

Does anyone know the weight limits of Dutchwear carabiners and tarp flies?
These will be the next thing to try for my tarp line, and some 1.75mm amsteel

I was there when he set it all up. He put hardly any effort into the set up to make it tight. Once he hung the tarp on it it instantly sagged. when I looked at the "dyneema" before we came out I mentioned it looking more like nylon than anything else. And it sagged more than paracord when he connected the tarp. He applied more tent ion and the "rated" carabiner literally snapped in half. Then we added a much larger carabiner then it massively bent the small figure 9. Tottaly agree with it being a waste of money. Couldn't help feel sorry for him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
In all honesty I think the small figure nine wasn't quite designed for the amount of tension we put through it all but the "dyneema" and the "rated carabiner" should of took it and twice more.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Weird - my small nite ize metal fig 9 takes a lot of tension. I get my paracord ridgeline guitar string tight on them with no sign of bending. Only thing I can think of is if it was putting strain on it in an odd way - funny angles or something? If you were using your line like a pulley then you may have been putting way more force on things than you realise? The fact the line stretched the carabiner broke and the fig 9 bent (ie. everything failed at once) would tend to point at excessive forces but if some kind of pulley arrangement was used for tightening then it may not have "felt" that much?

Last edited:

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
From what I saw (right next to him) He stood in a way which was level to the angle if the niteize. It should of been fine but it just completely failed. Sounds weird but could it be the sudden release of

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
From what I saw (right next to him) He stood in a way which was level to the angle if the niteize. It should of been fine but it just completely failed. Sounds weird but could it be the sudden release of tension effected the metal or something?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
From what I saw (right next to him) He stood in a way which was level to the angle if the niteize. It should of been fine but it just completely failed. Sounds weird but could it be the sudden release of tension effected the metal or something?

I have 2 setups - one with 1.5mm throw line dyneema and one with paracord. Both of which I get tight to the point of "twanging". Both use a cheap alu mini carib at the fixed end and I use a mini nite ize on the paracord setup. My aluminium carib would bend way way way before the nit ize fig 9 ever would - my paracord stretches before either of them bend. Normally I'd think you had a dodgy batch but given the other things also bent and stretched I think some force multiplier was at work somehow.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I have 2 setups - one with 1.5mm throw line dyneema and one with paracord. Both of which I get tight to the point of "twanging". Both use a cheap alu mini carib at the fixed end and I use a mini nite ize on the paracord setup. My aluminium carib would bend way way way before the nit ize fig 9 ever would - my paracord stretches before either of them bend. Normally I'd think you had a dodgy batch but given the other things also bent and stretched I think some force multiplier was at work somehow.
Perhaps the "dyneema" was some of the problem with the amount of force added for it to be taught?

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Can you link me up with what you bought - as there are many different dyneema cords available and not all will make whoopie slings as not all are braided with a hollow core - some have a dyneema core with an external wrap.

What you're after is usually referred to as D12 (but there are other variants such as amsteel).

DD hammocks sell it at about £1/m

Adding a locked brummel eye splice at one end and a bury at the other is something that's pretty easy to do if you follow an online tutorial.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/amsteelblue

M

+1 For DD Hammocks Amsteel (Dyneema) it is the cheapest I can find anywhere. But I agree that there are lots of types which are not the splicing kind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE