3D printed camping supplies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Always been a bit disappointed by the lack of tie out points on my DD 4.5m x 3m. Quite like the tie out points on the sides that give you a bit more breathing room when you get out your hammock. So I had a go at 3D printing some. You can also add zip ties to increase the line grip as a weak point will be around the loops. Hope to try out on the bushmoot tomorrow. These have been gently sanded to make them slightly more forgiving on the tarp fabric. Also made some line tensioners. Excuse the colour, it was what was in the printer at the time...
ac00f95a438a55d8585bdc7f3cdfd8d2.jpg
697dea6b531fcb811bd645b8aa024926.jpg
cada743907e44e969ba99fee58d99360.jpg
2a587cdae95168cd85b6a120f3de0065.jpg
645ccf116e8e0768e8b6ac626097a739.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Brilliant. I'm really interested in trying 3D printing but fear it'd go the same way as my 7 guitars. An expensive reason for my wife to get cross when I can't play them enough

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
7 guitars ! I get grief for having one electric and one acoustic ;) I'm lucky enough to have a small 3D printer (Up Plus) at work, and a laser cutter :D

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I paid about £170 including import taxes for my 3d printer from aliexpress (and yes, there were import taxes!)

Took 9 hours to build, three hours to work out how to use it. I bought from a guy who had a very, very comprehensive instruction set. It really was as easy as just bolting it all together. A small bit of filing to make sure screws would fit etc. The wiring was all plug and play. It's certainly got a lot more affordable. The actual PLA (the material used in this instance) is cheaper than printer ink and to load designs, you can just download premade things from "thingiverse.com", "slice" them using a slicer programme and then print them.

Each tarp point took about 1.5hrs to print and it's very solid - about 30% infill which is the honeycombing the printer uses to save plastic rather than just making it solid. Most things you 3d print use 5-10% infill.

I may make castings of these and make them out of solid aluminium to sell.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Nice one Tim. They look really tidy!

I'll be interested to see how they hold up in use. Have you done some strength testing at all on the loops or are you just going straight live?

The cost of the printer sounds good too! I would love one but don't have the space and probably couldn't justify the cost. I fancy a laser unit too - I have some cardboard cutting projects I would love to do!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've built a laser cutter as well... it's working well now but didn't get a chance to cut the tablets for the tablet weaving sadly!

Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
I paid about £170 including import taxes for my 3d printer from aliexpress (and yes, there were import taxes!)

Took 9 hours to build, three hours to work out how to use it. I bought from a guy who had a very, very comprehensive instruction set. It really was as easy as just bolting it all together. A small bit of filing to make sure screws would fit etc. The wiring was all plug and play. It's certainly got a lot more affordable. The actual PLA (the material used in this instance) is cheaper than printer ink and to load designs, you can just download premade things from "thingiverse.com", "slice" them using a slicer programme and then print them.

Each tarp point took about 1.5hrs to print and it's very solid - about 30% infill which is the honeycombing the printer uses to save plastic rather than just making it solid. Most things you 3d print use 5-10% infill.

I may make castings of these and make them out of solid aluminium to sell.

Hi Tim. This looks good!
Is your printer an Anet by any chance? I have a Flashforge Creator Pro myself.

James.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've built a laser cutter as well... it's working well now but didn't get a chance to cut the tablets for the tablet weaving sadly!

Nice idea for it's use - I remember cutting someone out by hand when younger and it took ages!

My desire is to play at this: http://www.sheldrake.net/quarter_isogrid/ I suspect it would be a better plan to just go chat to some hackerspaces though!! :D

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
3D printers are the dogs .... I am an engineering lecturer and the custodian of 2 Ultimaker printers which makes me pretty popular I can tell you especially as I teach CAD as well ..
i.e. do you think you could. .........? Type questions
Never thought of bushcraft applications until now!!!
Gary

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
3D printing is great, but think I only want one to make patterns for casting. Superb example from Brian Oltrogge making an lead hammer.

[video=youtube;rN09nj2Vu8g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN09nj2Vu8g[/video]

Far_Wanderer

Oct 29, 2009
Lancashire, England
I've just backed a sla printer and one of the resins is for forging so I'm quite happy as I can print it and if I like it can create the moulds so I can sort out for casting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Dribbles>

as a life long modeller, I lust after a 3D printer.

I have promised myself one when an effective recycling system is availble.

Me with my interest in Horn, I am good friends with the Museum of design in Plastics. These people are keen to promote responsible use of plastics, -saying that there are no bad plastics, only bad usage.

But a lot of their artefacts I describe as `solutions looking for problems`.

The 3D printer will certainly change plastic usage. I doubt it will be more sensible though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE