3D Knots Software

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I discovered a fantastic computer programme which ties knots in 3D. It has a large selection of knots, will tie them for you, and allow you to view them from any angle. It's great. You can download it from here:

http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knottyer3d.html

(It also came as a shock to discover it as it was actually written by my dad! I never knew he was developing the programme.)

It's free and really quite easy to use. There's a knot editor, so you can make your own knots. My dad would be delighted if people would create more knots and email them to him to include them in later releases - maybe us bushcrafty people could come up with ones that we use (although a fair few are on there already). The knot creators are automatically acknowledged.

The way the knots are tied means that the programme isn't perfect. For something like a sheet bend it's brilliant, but for knots that are tied by manipulating loops, for example the jar sling knot, it isn't so useful. Maybe that will be in version 9.x or something.

Some people might be interested in his other bit of software, a 3D celtic knot programme (in fact, KnotTyer3D is an offspin from his celtic knots), which can be found on the same website link above. It could be useful for braiding or pattern work in celtic-style items.

Hope this is some use to people - I've certainly found it very handy while practising knots.

Mark

Reactions: beachlover

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Thats an excellent prog. Anything to give anyone a helping hand and as a bonus its free. I like how you can use it frame by frame and then turn it about just to make sure you have it right. The prog would be great for demo purposes projected onto a large screen, such as for the scouts etc.
Tell your Dad, 'thanks' from me and will use it and try and develop my own knots on the prog.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Thanks chaps - dad will be delighted to hear that it is being used. I haven't tried making any knots for it yet, so I'd best go and find one that hasn't been done yet.

C

cossack

Downloaded programme, looks great, I am a Seamanship Instructor with The Sea Cadets, this would be interesting to let our cadets use this in our classes when teaching knots thanks for the link and thanks to your dad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE