38 days in Amazon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

"
BRASILIA: Antonio Sena was flying a single-prop Cessna 210 over the Brazilian Amazon when the engine suddenly stopped, leaving him minutes to find a spot in the jungle to crash-land.

He survived with no injuries, but was stranded in the middle of the world's largest rainforest - the start of a 38-day trek he says taught him one of the biggest lessons of his life.

Sena, 36, was hired to fly a cargo run from the northern town of Alenquer to an illegal gold mine in the rainforest, known as the "California".

Flying at an altitude of about 1,000m, he knew when the engine stopped halfway there he would not have much time.

He managed to bring the plane over a valley, and landed as best he could.

READ: Amazon hurtles toward death spiral as deforestation jumps in 2020

Advertisement

Antonio Sena says he finds meaning in the fact he was saved by a family that lives "in harmony" with the rainforest, after working for people who are destroying it. (Photo: AFP)

Covered in gasoline, he grabbed whatever seemed useful - a backpack, three bottles of water, four soft drinks, a sack of bread, some rope, an emergency kit, a lantern and two lighters - and got out of the plane as fast as possible.

It exploded not long after.

That was Jan 28.

The first five days, he told AFP in an interview at his home in Brasilia, he heard rescue flights overhead, searching for him.

But the vegetation was so dense the rescuers didn't see him.

After that, he heard no more engines, and assumed they had given him up for dead.

"I was devastated. I thought I would never make it out, that I was going to die," he said.

He used what battery he had on his cell phone to find where he was with GPS, and decided to walk east, where he had spotted two air strips.

JAGUARS, CROCODILES, ANACONDAS

He followed the morning sun to stay on course, and dredged up what he remembered of a survival course he had once taken.

"There was water, but no food. And I was vulnerable - exposed to predators" like jaguars, crocodiles and anacondas, he said.

He ate the same fruits he saw the monkeys eating, and managed to snag three precious blue tinamou bird eggs - the only protein of his entire ordeal.

"I had never seen such untouched, virgin rainforest," he said.

"I discovered the Amazon isn't one rainforest, it's like four or five forests in one."

The thought of seeing his parents and siblings again kept him going, he said."

Reactions: CLEM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
" In all, Sena walked 28km, losing 25kg on the way.

On the 35th day, he heard the sound of something foreign to the rainforest for the first time since the rescuers gave up looking for him: A chainsaw. "

Salient points for me are how arduous jungle terrain must be to travel.

28 km in 35 days losing 25kg of bodyweight.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I dont get this.

If he was on an illegal run, why was their planes searching for him?
Do you think it might be because he was reported missing?

Nothing in the report said his flight was illegal, just it was going to an illegal gold mine so no doubt when he failed to arrive back the authorities organised a search party.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
" In all, Sena walked 28km, losing 25kg on the way.

On the 35th day, he heard the sound of something foreign to the rainforest for the first time since the rescuers gave up looking for him: A chainsaw. "

Salient points for me are how arduous jungle terrain must be to travel.

28 km in 35 days losing 25kg of bodyweight.
The jungle is beautiful and its my favorite environment to move through. Historically it has been place that is to be feared, creepy crawlies, snakes, crocodiles and giant spiders........ All those creatures are there of course and you will find them, especially if you go looking for them with your parang in your hand and your thumb up your bum! . Generally they won't bother you though.

The biggest killer in the jungle is exhaustion. 95% humidity, 25c plus heat, unforgiving terrain and lack of high energy food will drop an inexperienced man in just a few days. The kind of weight loss experienced by this man is common I think. I've seen 85kg super fit guys literally shrink after a week in the jungle. The last time I went I went in weighing 73kg and after a week I had dropped to 69. Some of that was dehydration I think but it shows how quickly you lose it.

Once you go into the jungle you should understand that you are immediately starting to physically degrade. You can't just grind it out like you can sometimes in a temperate environment. It is best practice to constantly drip feed yourself with food and water, your body struggles to cope with '3 square meals' a day (well, I do anyway.....). I ate small snacks frequently, with one main meal in the evening which was heavy on carbs and protein. I drank water every chance I got.

This guy had next to nothing in equipment but clearly had some experience to fall back on as his actions immediately after the crash shows. He had the presence of mind to grab as much as he could. I'd be interested to know what was in the 'emergency kit' bag though..... was it a survival type kit? Did it have a parang in it?

Qudos to him for making it out. 35 days in a very challenging environment, with minimal gear but the heart of a lion.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spirit fish

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm a product of the modern age. My first thought was someone lived 38 days scavenging in an amazon distribution centre to survive having lost his way out! :D

Oh dear, what have I become!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was discussing this on another forum.

He was only treated for dehydration and minor injuries after he got rescued.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The jungle is beautiful and its my favorite environment to move through. Historically it has been place that is to be feared, creepy crawlies, snakes, crocodiles and giant spiders........ All those creatures are there of course and you will find them, especially if you go looking for them with your parang in your hand and your thumb up your bum!
emoji1787.png
. Generally they won't bother you though.

The biggest killer in the jungle is exhaustion. 95% humidity, 25c plus heat, unforgiving terrain and lack of high energy food will drop an inexperienced man in just a few days. The kind of weight loss experienced by this man is common I think. I've seen 85kg super fit guys literally shrink after a week in the jungle. The last time I went I went in weighing 73kg and after a week I had dropped to 69. Some of that was dehydration I think but it shows how quickly you lose it.

Once you go into the jungle you should understand that you are immediately starting to physically degrade. You can't just grind it out like you can sometimes in a temperate environment. It is best practice to constantly drip feed yourself with food and water, your body struggles to cope with '3 square meals' a day (well, I do anyway.....). I ate small snacks frequently, with one main meal in the evening which was heavy on carbs and protein. I drank water every chance I got.

This guy had next to nothing in equipment but clearly had some experience to fall back on as his actions immediately after the crash shows. He had the presence of mind to grab as much as he could. I'd be interested to know what was in the 'emergency kit' bag though..... was it a survival type kit? Did it have a parang in it?

Qudos to him for making it out. 35 days in a very challenging environment, with minimal gear but the heart of a lion.
emoji106.png

What is it you do ? I mean do you provide Jungle excursions? Can we have more details please.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
What is it you do ? I mean do you provide Jungle excursions? Can we have more details please.
I am a training manager. I dont provide excursions I'm afraid, although I wish I could!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE