3 week trip to china. Advice needed please!

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Afternoon all, I could to with some advice on what I need for a trip to Kunshan, I'm going in about 3 weeks time and It will be a works trip, so will be put up in a hotel and have a taxi to and from work each day. The problem is the last time I travelled any further than Scotland was well over 10 years ago now so am completely out of touch with what can/can't be taken when travelling now and what kind of clothing would be best as I am looking at 10 hour days in temps of 30- 40 degrees and some serious humidity! All advice would be greatly appreciated on anything you guys and girls think would be useful!

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I love China, I am back again after the olympics and have a place in Beijing and Hong Kong (I will be visiting friends in Suzhou which is very near to where you are are going). It is about as safe as you will get anywhere in the world for foreigners. It will be pretty warm there along with dusty and smoggy.

Everyone will try to help but the people you interact with may not speak English. You mention taxis, they are still silly cheap and scrupulously
honest so a safe way to get around and get back if you have the business card for the hotel. Again outside of the Big cities all signs are only in Chinese so tricky to navigate if you don't read Chinese (A lot of maps are also not to scale). Clothing wise you will want synthetics where you can, if aesthetics are an issue then linen or thin wool. The one thing to look out for is drinking water as tap water is not potable. Some hotels even high end often don't offer any way to boil water and coffee is still hard to come by, beer is cheaper than bottled water. I like steripens but some way to purify water on the go is probably a good idea. Oh one more thing the airport interpret the regualtions as "No tools" in hand luggage so better to be safe than sorry as it's not just blades. Also remember on your way back a lot of food and food products from there are a no no at this end.

Enjoy yourself and try to be as adventurous as you dare with where and what you eat.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's the BC correct thing now-a-days but lI'm gonna be the odd one here. I've always had better results with cotton than any synthetic, it's much, much cooler in hot weather.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
It's the BC correct thing now-a-days but lI'm gonna be the odd one here. I've always had better results with cotton than any synthetic, it's much, much cooler in hot weather.
I don't find that and the testing also is pretty definitive. In hot weather the temperature is the same whatever you wear, you stay cool by sweat evaporating. Synthetic clothing dries very fast so it allows sweat to evaporate, cotton doesn't. It also has fibres that don't absorb water so it's supposed to pass through rather than clogging up; cotton fibres love water.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't find that and the testing also is pretty definitive. In hot weather the temperature is the same whatever you wear, you stay cool by sweat evaporating. Synthetic clothing dries very fast so it allows sweat to evaporate, cotton doesn't. It also has fibres that don't absorb water so it's supposed to pass through rather than clogging up; cotton fibres love water.

Wish that were true. In real life it ain't so though. I'm talking about a truly hot and humid climate (here in Florida the daily highs are usually over 100f) When you get into the water it doesn't matter what you're wearing, it's gonna absorb water. if you get into the water every 20 minutes or so, as is common in a hot climate, or if even you stay out of the water but the humidity is around 95% you're just gonna stay wet. Period. As for synthetics being cooler than cotton; well I was issued both as uniform items at one time or another. Cotton was/is/and always will be cooler in real life.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
cheers guys! can anyone recommend any shorts that are going to be best/better to wear out there but aren't going to cost to much as I need about 5 pairs! also can the nurse give me the jabs I need? I've just got back from the docs but there appears to have been a balls up and resulted in me having to make another appointment to see the nurse friday now to see what I need but nothing was mentioned about whether she would do them then or not?.... I realise I am started to sound clueless now, and for that I apologise! :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Don't bother to take to many leisure clothes with you - certainly in the big cities you'll find markets galore to buy that sort of stuff, at way less than you can get it here!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't bother to take to many leisure clothes with you - certainly in the big cities you'll find markets galore to buy that sort of stuff, at way less than you can get it here!

I haven't been to China but in SW Asia it's difficult to get clothing in sizes to fit most Westerners. Is that true in China as well?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I haven't been to China but in SW Asia it's difficult to get clothing in sizes to fit most Westerners. Is that true in China as well?

I'm not sure for definite but I think my boss got a few golf polos out there, there are "knock off" markets and the like, but not sure what area they are in and what quality!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

I would hardly be described as svelte, but never had any problems getting stuff to fit. The stall might run off to another one to get "big, big size, Mr!", but they normally managed to find something appropriate! Actually managed to find batik shirts in Lombok that were too big!

I have been told that as much of the stuff sold in the West - particularly clothing - tends to come from Asia - China, vietnam and Thailand in particular, often they keep the factory rolling after an order has been met, and its this stuff that ends up on market stalls. after all, if you're paying 50 pounds for a football shirt that the factory is getting paid 2 pounds for, not surprising that they'll sell "surplus" for 5 pounds to the market traders!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I live in Saudi, where in the summer it can get to 50c and 100% humidity.
Trust me when I say Linen is your friend.
As is cotton.
Synthetics, not so much. They are sweatier when it's humid, and get smelly easily.
Loose clothing is important.
Believe it or not, if it's sunny, long trousers/sleeves are cooler than shorts/t-shirt.
Also, get a decent brimmed hat (not leather).
If your budget stretches, I recommend Tilley.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I live in Saudi, where in the summer it can get to 50c and 100% humidity.
Trust me when I say Linen is your friend.
As is cotton.
Synthetics, not so much. They are sweatier when it's humid, and get smelly easily.
Loose clothing is important.
Believe it or not, if it's sunny, long trousers/sleeves are cooler than shorts/t-shirt.
Also, get a decent brimmed hat (not leather).
If your budget stretches, I recommend Tilley.

Cheers for the advice! am thinking short sleeve shirts might be the way forward? I will be working inside a factory during the days so it's more the heat/humidity than sun, but I will be taking a brimmed hat for when I venture out! :) can you folks think of anything else that might be worth taking? I'm bound to forget something important! :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd just add a bit to what Graham said about long sleeve shirts and long pants (trousers) They are indeed better in the sun but to be cooler they need to have a loose fit (actually baggy is best) That's true no matter what sleeve length or material you choose.

OOps. just re-read your post Graham and saw you did mention "loose fitting."

While I'm back, does anyone have any experience in using silk in hot climates? If so how does it compare? After all the OP is talking about China.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE