3 season down bag £100-125?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
anybody got any ideas? I've been looking around the only two that seem to fit well are the vango viper 500 and the nanok comfort down 0degC, £95 and £105 respectively. I hear that nanok are a good bag make. I would like to keep the weight below 1300g if possible, the viper 500 and nanok come in at 1200g which is about perfect.

cheers

J

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Yeah, the Alpkit bags are always popular, the lighter PipeDream models especially, which are more often than not out of stock

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
phdesigns.co.uk have a sale on at the mo. Minim300 is bloody good. A little above your range but for 600g and into the minus degrees celsius you can't beat them. go to their website and look in the news section as that is where the link for the sales stuff is.

Alpkit pipedream is always popular. Other than them look at outdoorwarehouse in windermere and online as they sometimes sell off Marmot and golite bagscheap. Got a golite -7C rated quilt for £100 once in XL with a published weight of 690g.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
phdesigns.co.uk have a sale on at the mo. Minim300 is bloody good. A little above your range but for 600g and into the minus degrees celsius you can't beat them. go to their website and look in the news section as that is where the link for the sales stuff is.
Was going to suggest the Minim 300 but at £154 delivered I thought it might be to much over budget?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Get yourself on Alpkits mailing list Jonnie, great bags mate.

Have you been for a look at the Viper, although I've got more bags than I know what to do with I did fancy one a while ago.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
hi rich yeh the viper looks ok but I dont get a good vibe about the vango stuff- seems a bit 'argos'-y to me :p maybe its just me though? do you mean for the pipedream ones? they look great a bit over budget but im sure I could stretch a little.

hi Ed! yeh ive had a look at those they look a wee bit extremist! bit expensive for half a bag though lol, I don't quite get how you get in and out and do them up etc? could you explain? yeh alpkit is looking like the one to go for. The question is skyehigh or pipedream? the cheaper option will leave me with £60 to spend on other kit...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got the 2009 version of that quilt for £100 recently. It rocks for £100. It weighs about 690g for the XL version in the 2009 version BTW so why have golite made the 2010 version heavier I don't know. Perhaps because some ppl think the 2009 version is not really -7C rated and was actually a cooler bag than the 2010 is now at the heavier weight of 709g instead of 600g in 2009 IIRC. Good bag although you have to use it a bit before you get used to it and to the fact that you can see the down through the fabric!! Works great in my Rab SZ bivvy with my TAR prolite 3 in it with the quilt under a flying v pitched tarp. it got me down to less than 6kg for an overnighter. For me that is a result.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
yeh alpkit is looking like the one to go for. The question is skyehigh or pipedream? the cheaper option will leave me with £60 to spend on other kit...

Naa the real question is, do you want one now or later.. :) The weight difference is about half a kilo, and the pipedream compresses a little smaller. If it was me, I'd go for the PD and enjoy that iccle bit of luxury.. :D

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Naa the real question is, do you want one now or later.. :) The weight difference is about half a kilo, and the pipedream compresses a little smaller. If it was me, I'd go for the PD and enjoy that iccle bit of luxury.. :D

Ya thats what i was planning to do. The half kilo less to carry is worth the price for me.
Only thing that bothers me is that I am like 2 cm taller then the recommended size :( .

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
ooooooooooooh I never knew that! sounds like a plan!

Seriously, the big guy in the warehouse is sound and sorts you out and then you get a look in the seconds shed and theres all kinds of goodies in there!

I got a couple of the elites, mats and pillows and previously got loads of base layers for £5ea.......... its really quite a good screw.

Just go to the right of the mechanics to the shutter doors and theres yer man!

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers mate :) how much did you pay for your elite? I had a look at a softie hawk 9 they could do aswell. Did you see any of there bivi bags? my dutch one is great for my cheapy 4+ season but was a bit overgunned and heavy for my last outing?

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
cheers mate :) how much did you pay for your elite? I had a look at a softie hawk 9 they could do aswell. Did you see any of there bivi bags? my dutch one is great for my cheapy 4+ season but was a bit overgunned and heavy for my last outing?

60squids I think and they have a stratosphere set up

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I would have snatched the strat in the member classifieds if they didnt weigh 1.4kg! just looking for the standard bivvi, or perhaps the one with a zip, 340g or 420g is a bit more like it for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE