3 peaks on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
My Brother just talked me into joining him on the 3 peaks this year but now I'm worryning about the cost of kit as I'm not really fitted out for hill walking. I've got a good pair of boots and first two layers shouldnt be a problem but the cost of a decent goretex jacket and over trousers is a bit scary. I see a lot army goretex stuff at a fraction of the cost and seems like a sensible option.

If its good enough for the army must be good enough to keep me comfortable on the 3 peaks right? Right?

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
It will certainly be strong enough, and do its job well, the only real difference between army surplus and comercial stuff is
1) weight issue- surplus tends to be made out of heavier thicker materials which makes them more durable than highstreet equivalent but is usually at the cost of being twice the weight
2)the obvious Camouflage pattern on the clothing which not everyone is into.

you can pick up gortex kit dirt cheap

a few examples of gortex surplus, can get them cheaper and brand new if you look around

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c19cea9f2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/genuine-army-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item20b79d6953

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Goretex-Jacke...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4aa8ae1d8f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EW-Desert-Cam...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2eb3913537

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GERMAN-ARMY-G...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c19dcda91

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item41573e7a63

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
As said below don't get hung up on Goretex.The army stuff is fine but it is heavier than the leisure stuff so try it on before you buy.
Trespass and Keela both do good shell jackets for not alot of cash and as far as I'm concerned the overtrousers are more a luxury than a necessity.
Also check Ebay for 2nd hand stuff or the Trail magazine website forum classifieds for used kit.Most "serious" walkers change their kit very frequently
as new stuff comes out so there is good kit on these sites.Also check out your local TKMaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Cheers , Simon

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
My friend completed the three peaks, he said that the weather can change. In a snap, especially up ben necks so make sure you have plenty of layers. Thus it is important to have light weight gear tht can be put in a day pack so if u buy surplus make sure it can pack down nice and small. U might start the treck in shorts an tshirt and jlhit the top in thermals, jacket, hat and gloves!!

Is all about the bulk and weight... uv got to carry it!!

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I wouldn't worry too much about overtrousers, I find these cumbersome, often slip down and just becomne a nuisance. They are not all that good at keeping you dry either, unless you fork out for a decent bit of kit like Paramo ( and the salopette style avoids the slipping down problems).

If the weather is going to be a bit mixed I tend to wear a pair of Ron Hills, which will still keep you warm if they get wet, they also dry out fairly quickly. Alternatively a pair of light Craghopper style trousers, possibly with a base layer in cold conditions will keep you nice and toasty, even when wet.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
thanks every one some interesting ideas. I'm having 2nd thought on the army Gtex jackets. British army lightweights on the other hand look like a nice cheep alternative on the strides front.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There was a discussion over on Outdoormagic as to whether it was worth getting surplus Goretex or civvy stuff. Someone still serving commented:

'Is there any reason you want surplus kit? I've been issued it all for free and I still buy my own kit since most is crap. '

As a couple of people have already commented, the surplus stuff is going to be heavier than the high street jackets, and its cammo, which is not always a good look in your local high street, and actually not a good idea if someone is trying to find you on a hill! Much as I like surplus stuff, I must admit that the word 'used' generally means 'hammered' (unless its from Endys).

TKMaxx might have what you want (certainly the trousers), or just try Cotswold - you can pick up a (non Goretex) jacket for less than a £100, and if you check out how they rate at OM, you might get a bargain.

3 Peaks sounds great, but don't skimp on the important stuff - a good jacket will make life easier at best, and save your life at worse.

The British Army lights are pretty good (got a pair myself), but their cotton (no wicking), not very warm and don't dry all that well when wet, perhaps the C95's http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=128&products_id=1230 if your fine with cammo, or TKMaxx craghoppers if not (£20). Good luck!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is it the national 3 peaks or the Yorkshire 3 peaks? When are you going to do them?

If the first you will be spending most of your time in a car anyway so can always change into dry clothes as someone is driving you to the next hill.

If the second 3 peaks then its only about 25 miles and so long as you wear wicking synthetic clothes and can keep warm then no problem. I often think that if you are walking in heavy rain and working hard no matter what waterproof you have you will build up sweat inside the shell and get wet. You are not getting wet from the rain but from your sweat and that is unavoidable if the rain is continuous or heavy. hence the wicking synthetic base layers and mid layers. Merino is popular as base layers but it absorbs moisture but does not wick anywhere as well as synthetics and will eventually keep the moisture against the skin which is to be avoided.

Anyway I'm kind of saying get half decent wicking base layers made of synthetic fabric and do not expect any waterproof to keep you dry guaranteed.

Surplus is thicker and moree durable fabric but the moisture has to get through it. Also I very much doubt it will be the more modern variants of Goretex which are so much better than the original version. You can buy half decent own brand waterproofs from certain brands that are likely to compete in breathability with surplus goretex. Take a look online for Marmot membrane strata fabric waterproofs. There are many going cheap right now. Seen one for £30 somewhere once this year. They are light, packable and work ok. Some have pitzips which are good for venting to help the fabric from being overwhelmed by sweat.

As somone said you are likely to be carrying it as the weather could be good. You still need to carry it if the weather is good as things change. YOu will appreciate it when you can stick it inside your sack and it doesn't fill it if the weather is good.

Remember there is probably a very good reason civvie waterproof manufacturers don't make theirs like the army ones. Go with the growd and buy a civvie one.

Can I also suggest getting a very light windproof such as the ones made by Montane. They are so light, pack up to the size of a small apple and good at cutting wind. You can wear them in light rain but they are so much moree breathable than waterproofs. A simple base layer with a windshell could be all you need in the warmer months (but still carry a waterproof). Even if slightly colder then over a micro fleece (many cheap ones equivalent to the old polartec 100 weight fleeces). Cut the wind out and the layers underneath will keep you warmer than if the wind whistles through.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Another tip I would say to wear shorts. Apart from the colder months shorts can be worn for most of the year. They mean you can go for longer before you need to put on overtrousers (also more comfortable with overtrousers on as less layers so cooler and less sweaty). Eventually you will need overtrousers I am sure. Cheap ones will be good enough for a start. Probably can pick up for £10 and will last a few years. Only put on if you really have to. Buy good wallkig trousers or shorts as they are likely to cope with light rain or drizzle without needing to put on waterproof trousers. Makes you more comfortable if you dont have shell trousers on until you really have to.

BTW i used to wear a highly wicking t-shirt, thin fleece and a windshirt in summer rains. Some rains were prolonged and heavy but I was very comfortable despite being wet through. Reason? I was warm and wet with the wicking inner layers wicking moisture away from youur skin when the rain slows or stops. You will dry out quicker in this combination than if the outer layer is a membrane waterproof.

These are just some of my hard won experiences and views so please take from them what you want.

BTW if its the Y3P then its an interesting walk. My fave way is from the viaduct between Whernside and Pen y Gent. You head from there (free parking next to a bacon butty van that is worth using before you start) over the boggy ground to Pen y gent. Then into horton and up to Ingleborough before going uup Whernside last. The last hill has a quick downhill back to the viaduct and where you would have parked. Then a short walk or drive (2 mins walk at most from the carpark) is the station inn/pub. Its a nice pub that does good food and beer. Also has a camping barn / bunkhouse too. Some people have camped in the land to the side of the carpark too. not sure if that is supported but they were using the pub's facilities at the bunkhouse.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I think I'll pass on the army stuff and having had a good look round I should be able to work within a budget - I have until June - plans are standard walking trousers like graghoppers, wicking t-shirt, micro fleece and possibly a montane featherlight which I've used in the past and or a cheepish waterproof shell though I thinking of pushing the boat out and getting one of the montane H20 jackets. + running hat and gloves.

Its the national 3 peaks by the way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE