3 Peaks Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Im doing this on the 29th June in aid of Cancer Research, really looking forward to it - anybody else done it? This is my first hardcore bit of Hill Walking other than the Brecon Beacons. Can anyone offer any tips or pointers???

cheers all

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Funny you should mention this - I was going to do it over easter :p
But then I didn't, so I'm afraid I'm pretty useless..

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Some friends of mine did it a couple of months ago - I was going to join them but had to pull out.

I'll be honest and say they really didn't enjoy it. It's not "fun" in the way normal hill-walking is... you have to rush so you get no time to enjoy where you are, and you spend an awful lot of time in the back of a minibus on the way down from Scotland.

Their conclusion was that it's nice to have done it, but only as a tick-in-the-box exercise - they'd never do it again, and would rather take the time to really enjoy their time on the hills rather than chasing the clock.

That's only one opinion though!! Best of luck - let us know how you get on :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
It's nice around there. I walked on the cleveland way, i think it was, and that took me over one of the peaks. The Pen-y-ghent Café in Horton-in-Ribblesdale (where you clock-in) had a couple of picnic tables outside and sold camping gear, so you can buy anything you've forgotten. There's another decent little grocery shop in the village (that closes for lunch) and a pub, if I remember rightly. I was there last summer, and recall getting to the top of the peak and saying "They could do with some more shade up here." If it's sunny, wear a hat.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Just so we're all on the same page, I presume we're talking about the Ben Nevis -- Scafell Pike -- Snowdon challenge, rather than the Pen-y-ghent -- Whernside -- Ingleborough version?
eusa_think.gif

Each are a tough challenge, but the former is a real stretch... the latter is hard work but is actually reasonably enjoyable (mostly because there are no 8 hr minibus rides in the middle)!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yes, its the Ben Nevis, Scafell, Snowdon jobby. The trouble is there are no hills really in oxfordshire so cant really do any proper training, I do cover a fair few miles each wkd while out mooching round the woods so hopefully that will stand me in good stead. Im using my 4 year old Brashers so they are well broken in, but I do need to buy some summer walking socks, I was in Blacks the other day and couldn't believe the price of some pairs, about £15 quid or so, will have to have a look on the internt

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Have done it and can say that it is a challenge.
Advice is

Get dedicated drivers if you can
Sleep when in the bus - you will need it
Eat plenty
warm up before you march off into the hills- one of our team didn't and ended up in agony on scaffel
I would advise doing scaffel from the Wasdale head side
Make sure you fill up with fuel before you go to do Scaffel, we didn't and had to drive all the way to the motorway on the red light and just got to the service station as the van started to cough,:eek: there aren't a lot of garages open on a friday night on the route out from the hills
Make sure you are well up on your navigation Snowdon at night is completely different mountain to daytime

Although its a challenge it is worth it for the sense of achievment. I am proud to say that i have done it.

I am thinking of doing it again next year

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Just seen where you live bushcraftbob, when we were training we did a trip to the Brecons every other week up and down pen-y-fan and cribben and trained on the ridgeway on the other weeks finishing at the white horse hill. go up and down the steep part to the side as you drive up after doing 6-10 miles it certainly gets the heart pumping

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Sounds not very good to be honest. I'd far rather go up a decent route on any of those mountains than the quickest way up all 3. Train by walking fast everywhere. Highly effective. I'm a fast walker by habit, guess when I was growing up my folks just walked fast, now it's me who has to slow down for them.

Drink loads, you go alot faster and feel better, although having to stop for the toilet every hour or so may make you the victim of mockery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE