3+ or 4-season sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
It is difficult, isn't it! I like the look of the Hunka, but the comments on the AlpKit web site suggest that it is small, too small even to allow full lofting of some down bags. I think the larger Hunka XL bag is due out soon, if not already.

I think I'm coming around to a 3+ season bag because, in very cold temperatures, I'm always going to be in a bivi bag, tent, or other shelter.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
As I posted elsewhere, I went for the 3+ season ME Lightline. I'm not sure how warm or cold I sleep, so I don't know how low it will take me. I reckon -5° ± 5° which will be good enough for starters.

Thanks all.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Hi all, first post!

I have a Vango Nitestar 350 synthetic filled bag, very bulky compared to the bags you're discussing but just to give some kind of benchmark its rated as a 3 season with a comfort temperature of 2-20 degrees C. The second week in January myself and a mate went climbing in the peak district and kipped down in woods below Frogatt without a fire (tried to stay as concealed as possible due to not knowing the restrictions on staying in the area!) and I slept quite comfortably in temperatures touching 0 in a poly survival bag on a bed of dry(ish!) leaves. Cut to the point anyway... for the first time (not been into this long!) sleeping in just my pants was too cold so I slipped on a long sleeved cotton T-shirt and it made a world of difference, I went from slightly too cold for comfort to having a good nights kip for the sake of a fivers worth of cotton Tee!

Sorry for the long rambling first, just my tuppence worth on layering up for bedtime :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE