3 different bivvy bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
helloooo

I know there is been a lot of talking about bivvy bags, but I am searching a while now, and dont know realy what to do. in my seach for the right bag, I found 3 bags that look great to my.

British army bivvy bag(you know that one :) )
(outdoorcode and ebay +/- £ 30.-

Sas para bivvy bag
(ebay) +/- £ 30-40??

Dutch army bivvy bag
(extra survival ) +/- £ 50.-

tell me, which do you think is best?

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
I have a british army gore tex one, got it brand new, and it does what it says on the tin. Only used it in freezing conditions so a sleeping pad was essential. If I was buying again I would go for one you could peg out and put a hoop in the head end.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
that sas para bivvy looks a lot like a standard british army bivvy bag.
the dutch one looks better for using in a hammock with the zip.
i was using my british army bag this weekend in my hammock and it's a little difficult to get into.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
You'll find that the SAS/PARA bivi bags are the same as the normal issue type, just somebody hyping them up to make more money ;)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
chrisvreugd said:
@Phil562
thanks for that eyeopener, but stil cant find an other place where they sell them, do you know?

+ - £30 is about right, I'd have a word with Gary @ Bearclaw or Andrew @ Outdoorcode or take your life in your hands and gamble on evilbay :rolleyes:

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
hy,
but the so called "sas/para" is also a britsh army bag?
and whats better then, the old from oudoorcode, or the "sas" at ebay...

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
The "SAS/PARA" are exactly the same as the "British Army Issue" :rolleyes:

Its up to you really, whether you want to buy off evilbay or from a shop/mail order company

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
ive seen the ones rene (how you get those annoying little accents done on the E anyway?) at Extra sells,theyre good stuff.

personaly id go for those,bivvys should last a long time,who knows if youll be sleeping in a hammock in 5 years or not?

Porc.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
yes,
how knows.... but for now, Im going to keep it low to the ground, (low profile) in a nice bivvy bag under a tarp, I dont realy know what people do in hammocks? but perhaps I will find out that within 5 years :)

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I've bought stuff from Gary; I've bought a bivvy bag from Andrew at outdoorcode (tho' I wouldn't try and use it in a hammock!).
Loads of guys have bought gear from Endicotts of Exeter, who may be worth a ring.
All are good guys.
ebay? You take your chance - though I've bought some good stuff from there.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you decide on the British army bivi bag I'd recommend giving Andrew a call at www.outdoorcode.com . He advertises them as used (Usually Grade 1) but can and does have them available as unused brand new items. For the service, good quality and as far as I know unbeatable price, he's your best bet.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
stear clear of the british arctic issue bivi.. i bought mine from ebay where it was advertised as being 'gor-tex' but they are not, they arnt breathable and are very prone to condensation!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
bivvy bags are quite useful in hammocks. they block any breezes that are going.
breezes rob the heat from you very quickly leading to an uncomfortable night.
i'm a bit of a convert to bivvy bags in hammocks. certainly in winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE