2nd attempt at pop can stove stand, nailed it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
A while back I wanted to make a very solid stand for my pop can stoves.

It worked good but the sweet spot was above the top of the stand. It worked great for slowly cooking stuff, but I wanted something that used the full potential of the stoves.

0w12Vk2.jpg

Like this one that boils water faster than my trangia

A few photos of Version 1, I made it out of 1mm aluminium but it went soft so remade it out of mild steel. That's really when I found out it was too short.

3VjaSTU.jpg

oGGS1b3.jpg

It would boil water, but much slower that it should of done.

TJ1ZyeJ.jpg

Really there is much better.

eWUVN0W.jpg

The way the flames came out the air holes meant it dose cook stuff nice and slowly.

So today I made the Version 2.

6y4HCcP.jpg

Made a template, didn't quite follow it, but came in handy.

HWKCNyx.jpg

Loving my new angle grinder!

o9fdmic.jpg

JUST fit in my belt grinder to smooth the edges.

L6ZWR2R.jpg

I wanted to make sure there was plenty of air holes, Good thing about mild steel, it wont go soft with heat.

n7huqTa.jpg

Drilled all at 5mm at first.

5CzTDXz.jpg

Then Drilled them all to 10mm.

Next I used a 13mm Drill bit to counter sink both sides of every hole.

Ao0E1Gh.jpg

Unsurprisingly it bent with all the drilling, but I just used the vise to straighten it all out again. I've seen people hammer stuff flat. A vise is easier and less effort.

8eXG9MN.jpg

Done.

O9iQtfJ.jpg

I don't have a stove to hand, but there it is with a can in it.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I know just holding my Ti pot with 600ml of water over the stove it takes 4:30 to bring to a rolling boil, on the old stand it took 7 minutes.

I should get time tomorrow to test it out.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I tested it today. Only a quick one. Just fried some black pudding and got about 800ml to a boil. I didn't time it, but no question its right at the sweet spot. In fact I nearly burnt the black pudding it cooked that quickly

wtI8Q0C.jpg

BhgTIYR.jpg

Right at the sweet spot!

IIW3PYy.jpg

Nice tasty snack out of the test.

elS73wT.jpg

Very stable

h1FbyzN.jpg

Also loving my new bushpot!

z2IpF8q.jpg

Cooked the black pudding and boiled the water in the 8 minutes the full stove burns for.

Reactions: badoosh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE