.22LR without FAC? Yes, apparently you can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The real fun off ticket were the 'Bell Target' competitions. Run in many pubs in the North and Midlands it involved shooting 0.22" rifle, (before long rifle) CB and BB caps across the pub floor to hit a bell which was behind a small hole in a steel plate. I bet it was interesting after a few drinks! I have never seen it but I am told it was as popular as darts. It still continues with air rifles.
http://www.belltarget.com/resources/Bell_Target_Story.pdf

My Grand-father was one of the best in the county of Herefordshire back when he was a young man, unfortunately my eldest cousin inherited the fob watch he had adorned with his shooting medals. :(

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
That is excellent Wingstoo. Would it be possible to get a good resolution photo of the watch?

Such an item needs recording together with its provenience for future generations.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Our club used to shoot in that Wilts league. I understand we are no longer welcome.

Half the GB Gallery rifle squad turning up miffs the natives.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
...and considerably less powerful than a .22LR as well - even FAC air. Put in for two or three calibres and types, adding a rifle later (a variation) has a fee attached. If you decide you don't want a .17HMR and change for something else like a .243, there is no fee involved. Apply for moderators and expanding ammunition in all calibres as well

Variation of a different calibre carries a fee, like for like calibre - if I wanted to change my basic plastic deer rifle for a gucci one - is free.

I think it worth adding that different calibres do very different jobs. 223 is not legal for deer, my 6.5 is not ideal for fox. Work out what you want to do before you do down this road. I have shot some pest rabbits with my .243. There was a little left for the ferrets.....

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
That is excellent Wingstoo. Would it be possible to get a good resolution photo of the watch?

Such an item needs recording together with its provenience for future generations.

I'll have to make some arrangements Ian, but it should be Ok to get photo's of it and the individual shields.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
No it doesn't vary county to county. A variation from one thing to another carries no fee. It's only if you add additional hardware that a fee applies.

You can do a 1 for 1 for a Moderator to a section 1 Shotgun with no charge. But if you want to add a 13 foot pound air rifle slot it's £26.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was informed that I had to pay in Wiltshire for changing calibre!

I will re iterate that you'll need to find a use for any calibre you ask plod for and have a decent reason. I have pretty much come to the end of my chopping and changing for a while. Watch this space for a nice modified .22 semi with 1 - 4 red dot and green dot for sale. Plinking fun it is.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hey Dougster are you the knife maker of the Stalking Directory?

Give Jill Fuller at Wilts a call tomorrow and she will give you chapter and verse. They are a very good team in Wilts.

You get a free 1 for 1 when you chop in a gun. So you can empty a slot or swap a Calibre. Done it myself this year.

Yes you will need Good Reason for any Firearm. Up gunning a calibre needs to be appropriate. My earlier comment should have been qualified.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Setting up a range is complicated and getting planning harder. From memory that league is shot down a tube with .22 shorts. Tiny Rimfire cartridges are certainly not .223 centre fire.

I wrote to you on this the other day Spandit. .17 HMR is a cracking round to 120 metres. It's very very flat shooting and has no recoil but its loud so you should apply for a moderator. Ammo isn't cheap. (20 pence a round) 22LR you can feed subsonic (10 pence a shot) put a moderator on it and get nearly as quiet as an Air Rifle. If you use high velocity rounds you can do much the same as the .17 with practice.

An FAC Air rifle can be useful but if you have a non FAC and a little .410 shotgun you pretty much cover the same spectrum. FAC Airguns are very expensive where as a single barrelled .410 shotty will turn up for £100 but cartridges are more than pellets and I seem to remember paying a pound or so more for a box of .410 than 12 guage.

.223 would be a good foxing calibre to consider.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE