2023 Resolutions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
2023 Resolutions.

Has anyone got any resolutions for the New Year? Can the forum members help keep you accountable in this endeavour?

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Apart from the usual get fit, lose weight, I plan to change career and come off the carpentry tools completely,

Get rid of my L200 and get nice a comfy family car, something along the lines of a volvo xc90

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not to buy anything I don't actually need right now.

We are awash with good things, I will never use all the fabrics and wools I have stashed, I will never use up all the craft stuff I have. I don't need to buy any more unless for a 'right now' project.
I have a library's worth of books and I keep looking at more. Time to read through them all again. Even one a day and decide to keep or to pass along.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not to buy anything I don't actually need right now.

We are awash with good things, I will never use all the fabrics and wools I have stashed, I will never use up all the craft stuff I have. I don't need to buy any more unless for a 'right now' project.
I have a library's worth of books and I keep looking at more. Time to read through them all again. Even one a day and decide to keep or to pass along.

LOL, I know what you mean. Between the missus and me, we could start a craft supplies shop - wool, fabric, leather, brass, copper, wood, art materials ... the list goes on. But, I wouldn't be without our 'resources'. My resolution would be to use it more - make/produce something every week :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Our house overlooks one of 3 roads in and out of our village. It's one of two that has a wide pavement on it. As such it has seen a lot more traffic from joggers of all ages, fitness and ability. This obviously ties into the annual fitness kick, joining of gyms and similar resolutions that come out post Xmas excesses / new year goal setting that ppl do at this boundary between the old and new year.

Having once been a regular gym goer for 5 or 6 years straight I know this activity is good if it lasts January out. Mostly however it didn't. January was annoyingly busy at my old gym but it gradually became more enjoyable as the equipment, sauna and steam room became less busy through January and February. By second week in February I was back to being able to have a good workout without waiting to use equipment, or use them out of my preferred order.

It is this that stops me setting goals at this time of the year. I will wait until spring comes to think on where I'm at and where I need to be. Then I'll set goals or resolutions if you like. I'll set them with reality at their heart so I stand a chance of achieving them.

Sorry if this is negative reply. It's just that this time is stressful for various reasons and imho when under stress I don't think goal setting is right.

Having said that I plan on reading the technical books I bought last spring with the intention of renewing the knowledge gained in my masters 20 years ago in case it helps with a career change. That is an outstanding goal from late spring last year that had a loose 2 year timescale.

PS Toddy, have you read all your books? I find that I've a lot of books I've never got round to reading. That's in a relatively modest library.

Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a good plan.

I have read 99% of my books; a conservative estimate.

The other 1% is for reference.

And these are all stuff for more than one use.

It always baffles me when folk get a (brand new) text and read it just once.

Reactions: zornt and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have read pretty much like Tengu has of mine :)

Books become old friends.
It's often cheaper to buy books now than it is to buy a throw away magazine.
So, especially with craft books now, I read and absorb, and read again, and then decide to keep or pass it along.

I've started doing that with the academic books too.

Reactions: zornt

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I have read pretty much like Tengu has of mine :)

Books become old friends.
It's often cheaper to buy books now than it is to buy a throw away magazine.
So, especially with craft books now, I read and absorb, and read again, and then decide to keep or pass it along.

I've started doing that with the academic books too.
You can read and borrow magazines from your library using the Libby app. Good selection and all for free.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can read and borrow magazines from your library using the Libby app. Good selection and all for free.

I didn't know that :) That must be such a boon to many.

I have subscriptions to three magazines, craft and archeology, and enjoy them all. My neighbour passes in her 'Women's Magazines', and I flick through and pass them on to the next neighbour along :) I try some of the recipes though.
They read mine and then pass them back to me because I use mine.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Become MORE active in social issues. I encounter people who
Vote every four years; uninformed
Manipulated by marketing and stale
isms. Then they think ‘ I’m good’ and are shocked when it hits home.
I’m an old Nader’s Raider. I challenged our local candidates to talk to homeless services AND the homeless. One did, He won. I’m on the local advisory council now.
A dear friend put herself through college. She now teaches 4th grade children with $100,000 in debt from loans. Because of a tax revolt almost 50 years past; She has to beg for supplies from parents struggling already. Im
Theoretically low income. My lifestyle gives ‘ walking around money’ I’ve gifted some serious
Items she will use for years. Kids can’t wait, and shouldn’t.
“ If you don’t like the news, go out and make some” and “ get in good trouble”
AND from my Earth First! Days “ We stand for what we stand on”

Reactions: mwoolfare

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I tend to set annual birthday goals (each February) rather than resolutions at new year. These are mostly around personal health and well-being and challenging myself to become fitter and healthier (body and brain) as I age. That started a few years ago as my 50th birthday year approached and next month I will be 52. My watch records my resting heart rate and the annual average has dropped over the last few years from 59 to 55BPM in 2023. Next year I want to try and reduce to 54 - it’s a good indication of fitness and stress! Getting out and about in guise of walking, biking and ‘bushcraft’ is a good way to reduce stress. I don‘t believe in quick fix fad diets or flash in the pan exercise regimes but making longer term more permanent changes - these are often the harder changes that are easier to put off!
This year I want to gain some mountain bike instructor qualifications, expand my professional skill set and courses to tracking and wildlife watching, bit of light touch seasonal foraging and also try and start and ‘practice’ daily mindfulness and meditation.

Reactions: mwoolfare

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A former work colleague hit misfire age and imported a harley dust from factory as it was special in some way. His intention was to learn to ride it having never ridden a motorbike then ride route 66 on it. He learnt to ride it but sold it having got past his r66 midlife crisis. He bought a little boat and got into sea fishing then grew past that. I lost contact with him after that.

I am now 50 myself but no sign of midlife crisis and definitely no plan to ride a harley. I might try to get out on my bikes a bit more though that's hardly a resolution or age related crisis. I think to warrant midlife crisis

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
From an American near a iconic canyon drive and biker stop
GROANING
HDs engines are made in Japan with a iconic exhaust noise replicated by idiots in Japanese rice burners with car alarm and brain shattering same.
Idiots festoon themselves with the logo like a Vicars cross thinking it improves ones testosterone and sperm count.
Friends have real bikes; Vincent’s, Norton’s and old BMWs

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I shudder at the idea of a middle aged person learning to ride a bike.

Not the strength and reactions of the young.

I wanted to when young...but I didnt have the balance, never will.

Maybe get a trike?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE