2021 Summer BushMoot - 26 July - 7 August 2021

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
First I did think the price rise was a bigger jump than that; old man , senior moment ,humble pie, rock solid home work first and gut feeling are things that spring to my mind.... any chance they could to yours please, pretty please.

As for the area available, as I recall, the area from the entrance to naughty corner USED to to be almost unusable, same as from the Merthyer Mawr road fence line down to the track ; too much of a slope. I so want to be proved wrong.
I have been coming since 2014 and it is without any trace of doubt the highlight of my year. The only thing about the whole *&%* covid19 lockdown that really gripped my ..unmentionables' was the 2020 cancellation.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ive had no email yet
Umm, not sure why...

Is the old archery are more suitable for ground sleeping now it’s been cleared Tony?
Yes, there's lots of space in there, it will be good for hammocks and tents. There's also the space in front of it and all the way down to the public car park

Looking at the map it would seem to show the area near the front entrance and up to the naughty corner is fine for hammocks.....yet in the past if ten people used it I would be surprised, 20 at most. Really sorry to be a "nay sayer", but are we now paying higher fees for a postage stamp.
It is what it is now, I'd have thought the change in boundary would hardly impact you at all Paddy.

It's £15 more this year than you paid for your ticket last year. The full price (non early bird) is £10 less than last year.

I wouldn't say it's a postage stamp in the slightest. It's not great not being able to camp where we used to but with numbers low there ought to be plenty of room for everyone.

As for higher fees it's gone up about £25 per person on 2019 prices so it's still a good deal for 13 nights in the woods with a lot more freedom than you'd have on a normal campsite
There will be plenty of room, some people will need to find new places to camp and that's an inconvenience and it's a change that can be uncomfortable, but I do think there's plenty of room.

First I did think the price rise was a bigger jump than that; old man , senior moment ,humble pie, rock solid home work first and gut feeling are things that spring to my mind.... any chance they could to yours please, pretty please.

As for the area available, as I recall, the area from the entrance to naughty corner USED to to be almost unusable, same as from the Merthyer Mawr road fence line down to the track ; too much of a slope. I so want to be proved wrong.
I have been coming since 2014 and it is without any trace of doubt the highlight of my year. The only thing about the whole *&%* covid19 lockdown that really gripped my ..unmentionables' was the 2020 cancellation.

There are some parts of the site that are not good for camping, as you say, in places the slope is too severe, but there's plenty of other spaces. There's a lot of people that this change doesn't affect, Naughty Corner hasn't been bulldozed, the embankment is still there, the yurts are gone freeing up more space, brush has been cleared etc etc...

The bottom line is that there's been a change and because the site is such a nice site we accomodate it, we are a group that uses the site for 2-3 weeks a year and there's plenty of other customers to take our place if we don't want to use it, they set the conditions and we decide if we can live with them, at the moment I feel we can.

This year is a much more relaxed affair as well, hopefully next year we'll get into the swing of things again with the social and workshops side of things. I'm sure that we'll have a great time and I'm looking forward to having a good old natter with everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Budd and Dean

py6km

Mar 4, 2014
UK
The main woods can't be used for camping any more, from the image below you can see the boundary line, we went down a little while ago and GPS plotted the boundary so this is fairly accurate.
So, we lose depth into the woods but the woodland we used for archery is now all camping and the area around it.

There's a new car parking area that will accomodate a good number of cars which will also free up some other areas that will be good for tents mostly.

When you get there you'll see the blue topped posts that run right across form the main road to the embankment (straight green line on map) they are the boundary.

We can use the bigger woods for activities, walking etc etc but we can't sleep in them.

We will use all the area marked over the embankment, the archery range will be relocated and that woodland will be sued for camping, it's all been cleared so there's a fair amount of space in there.

Numbers aren't high, we've kept everything low key with the only email just going out yesterday, there should be plenty of room, it's obviously just going to be a little inconvenient for those that have established themselves in set places that are no longer part of the camping area.

The fort has gone, Naughty corner has been cleared of the pizza oven and bar (although there was some talk of building something up there like another little shelter area, can't remember accurately though) There's more water points, much of the infrastructure is the same.
The roads in are much better now.

Hope that goes some way to explaining the situation.

View attachment 67177

As someone who's not been before, it's difficult for me to gauge the scale of the area as it now stands. Is all of the green area within the boundaries suitable for (small, i.e., 2 person) tent camping or are there some definite no-go areas (e.g., slopes, thick vegetation etc) and what would we say the area is - size of a few tennis courts, couple of football pitches etc.?

....I think some of my questions have been answered by your previous post, but an idea of the size compared to something easily relatable would be good if poss. Cheers

Reactions: nigelp

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It was a general email that went out to people from the forums, not sure why some haven't received it, I'll look into that, there's not much in it that you don't know about, it's mostly for those that need a reminder the Moot's happening. The general info can be found on this page EXTRA INFO SUMMER MOOT 2021

Reactions: nigelp

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As someone who's not been before, it's difficult for me to gauge the scale of the area as it now stands. Is all of the green area within the boundaries suitable for (small, i.e., 2 person) tent camping or are there some definite no-go areas (e.g., slopes, thick vegetation etc) and what would we say the area is - size of a few tennis courts, couple of football pitches etc.?

....I think some of my questions have been answered by your previous post, but an idea of the size compared to something easily relatable would be good if poss. Cheers

The campsite is just under 16 acres or about 64,000m2. a lot of the green area is good for camping, especially in something like a two person tent.
Here's link to google maps where you can get scale etc.

The ground in places is undulating, in others it's fairly level and in the odd place there some sloping areas. most of it is campable.

Hope that helps

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It was a general email that went out to people from the forums, not sure why some haven't received it, I'll look into that, there's not much in it that you don't know about, it's mostly for those that need a reminder the Moot's happening. The general info can be found on this page EXTRA INFO SUMMER MOOT 2021
Got to say I've not received the emeil either Tony. I just checked and the only one I've had is the booking confirmation.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaagh!
And gave it to a bloke who came and saw my Fire Demonstration at Castell Henllys today ... he said Tony had given him a Dave Budd knife for Dog/House sitting duties ....

Reactions: Dave Budd

subwoofer

Mar 8, 2013
Hove
Hello All, my wife and I are hoping to come to the Bushmoot for the first time this year.

As I can't find anything on the website, I was wondering if it was possible to be on a list that ensures I could pay on arrival, and be admitted? (as I understand numbers are limited)

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, just replied to your email!

Thanks for pointing out the T&C's page needs to be sorted, the sorting is standard lorem ipsum text which is commonly used as a placeholder for setting out etc. No 'in' joke involved.

At the moment I can't say that it's possible to pay on arrival, we're keeping a close eye on numbers this year so pre-booking is quite important.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE