2014 TGO Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
What did you wear around camp and as PJ's please?

So you carry waterproof trousers as well? My last trip was solo but I randomly camped with others, so wore baselayer bottoms when I finished for the day, but put on montane atomic pants over the top in the evening

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
So you carry waterproof trousers as well? My last trip was solo but I randomly camped with others, so wore baselayer bottoms when I finished for the day, but put on montane atomic pants over the top in the evening

Only problem there is if it rains i get my PJ's wet, be that from the WP trousers or sweat.

I'm not one for luxuries when hiking/camping but i do like a completely separate set of dry clothes to sleep in or if it's dry to lounge around camp in.

Trying to find a local shop that stocks Patagonia kit as their Capilene 4 bottoms seem to be pretty good for 161g.
Quick drying as well according to the tests i've read so they might work with the WP bottoms as you suggested.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks, I really enjoyed that.

Just 2 things, hurry up with the next one, and get the hair cut :)

Lovely, simply lovely report :)

Smashing report! Really enjoyable! :)

Really enjoyed the vid, thanks. Looking forward to part 2 now.

Congratulations on the completion of the 2014 TGOC, Matt! Cool video and thanks for sharing it with us.

Nice Video. :) Congrats on your crossing.

Many thanks, much appreciated :)

...Biggest dilemma i have is camp clothes.
I've got some nice lightweight leggings but they're not really much more than (near on) see-through wool tights great weight wise at 119g, if i'm wild camping i'd wear them without a care in the world.
If i'm at a campsite though or popping into a pub for a meal i think i might scare the neighbours/other dinners being a grown bottom bloke in tights, i know i'm from Nottm but Robin Hood is no excuse :lmao:

So i pack my Ronhills as camp bottoms/PJ's but they're 326g :(

What did you wear around camp and as PJ's please?

I took some thermal leggings to wear at camp and to sleep in however due to the warm weather I didn't end up sleeping in them. On the couple of hostel stops we had I tried to give everything a bit of a wash, as such I wore either just my waterproof trousers or both those and the leggings whilst my trousers were drying. I don't like walking in sealskins but take a pair to use around camp so don't have to have soggy feet all evening.

Pah! It's not a proper crossing unless you have at least 5 days and nights of continuous rain lol!!

Why is it, that when I'm NOT on it, everyone comes back with a suntan :(

Completely different from my videos from last year. I almost miss it.

I've watched your TGO vid a fair few times and was expecting my crossing to be similar, with the weather being so good this time around I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do another as it'll never be as good again!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks for the update.:)

Thank you

Awesome vids mate :)

Cheers mate. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your new MLD goodies

Nice on the second part, Matt. The Red Deer antler shed your mate found is sweet! Looking forward to more parts.

Thanks, Peter found the antler, intact he found 2 really good ones within the space of 5 minutes!

Another nice vid, really looking forward to part 3 now.

Thank you, hopefully have part 3 and 4 up next week

What a beautiful country bonnie Scotland is .. cheers for sharing your adventure ....

Good video by the way!

Many thanks :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Cheers mate. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your new MLD goodies

Looking forward to trying them bud. May do a packing video prior to trip :)

Was hoping to get out this weekend but feel a bit crap so going to leave it and maybe go out mid-week unless I feel worse. Borah Bivi may be here by then as well. I'll get all gear ready to pack and as soon as I feel better/weather is good I'll be straight out the door! :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Great stuff Matt. Love watching these vids as it tides me over until I manage to get out. Took 8 weeks to get my TS and now it's here something keep delaying me from getting out, health, weather, commitments, finance. I will succeed!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to part 4 :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Unfortunately, I cannot view part 3. It has been blocked in my country due to copyright grounds with the music.:(

Hi Gordon, I'm still new to Youtube etc and head to fully get my head round how it all works re the music used etc, once I've done part 4 I'll put up a separate part 3 that hopefully doesn't get blocked in some places

Great stuff Matt. Love watching these vids as it tides me over until I manage to get out. Took 8 weeks to get my TS and now it's here something keep delaying me from getting out, health, weather, commitments, finance. I will succeed!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to part 4 :)

There's always something trying to stop us getting out isn't there, stick with it :)

Another good one. :)

Thanks fluffkitten :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Fourth and final part now up

[video=youtube_share;MnV4oIkz8Zg]http://youtu.be/MnV4oIkz8Zg[/video]

Unfortunately, I cannot view part 3. It has been blocked in my country due to copyright grounds with the music.:(

Alternate version to part 3 here, I'll have similar up for part 4 soon

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Fourth and final part now up

[video=youtube_share;MnV4oIkz8Zg]http://youtu.be/MnV4oIkz8Zg[/video]

Alternate version to part 3 here, I'll have similar up for part 4 soon

Thanks Matt that was very kind to re-post part 3. I viewed Part 4 earlier today and it played just fine. Thanks for sharing your 2014 TGO Challenge with us. I hope that 20 years from now you look back on your video production and cherish the good times you and your mates had on the crossing. Job well done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE