2014 TGO Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've just finished putting together the first of 4 videos from my TGOC coast to coast crossing of Scotland, I thought a few on here may be interested in having a peak so here it is:

[video=youtube_share;GSIQDZcMkko]http://youtu.be/GSIQDZcMkko[/video]

For those wanting a little more info re route/the challenge etc I've added a separate page to my blog dedicated to my crossing

Hope you enjoy the video :)

Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good times Matt, top job on the vid mate

I'll have another watch and a read on the blog in the morning, more please :)

Anything you wish you'd done differently, any kit that could've been better? I was really happy with everything I took in 2012, apart from the Hyperflow (and FAK) I used everything I carried, my biggest regret was not taking my Crocs for the evenings in camp.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Excellent video, the choice of music is superb! Probably one of the best quality vids I've seen for quite a while.

I shall be reading your blog for sure, many thanks for sharing.

Steve

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's the best vid. I've seen in a long time, for both content and technical competence; excellent, and eagerly awaiting part 2!......:)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Wow, many thanks for all the replies and kind words, the video/editing side of things is all still new to me so it's much appreciated :)

Kit wise I was really pleased with everything I took, in hindsight due to the warm temperatures I'd have maybe taken my custom asTucas Quilt but to be fair I'd probably take the same bag again (Marmot) as it's superb and would have been needed had the temps plummeted, as it was so warm I just used it open like a quilt. I used a brand new unworn pair of Speedcross as I'd torn a hole in the front of my last pair the week before the TGO but these were absolutely fine with no blisters etc.

The only thing I'd change would have been to reproof my jacket beforehand but as we didn't have much rain this wasn't really a problem.

I can't decide re camp shoes, one half of me thinks it'd be nice to have something else to slip on once at camp but the other half tells me I don't want the bulk/weight of another pair of shoes in my pack :confused:

Thanks again

Matt

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Great vid, enjoyed that thanks.

I know what you mean on the camp shoes, every trip i put some in then take em out just before i pack.
Can't honestly say i miss them when out, as if it's raining i'm usually in the tent, if it's not raining then i'm usually wearing my walk shoes/boots or barefoot.

Biggest dilemma i have is camp clothes.
I've got some nice lightweight leggings but they're not really much more than (near on) see-through wool tights great weight wise at 119g, if i'm wild camping i'd wear them without a care in the world.
If i'm at a campsite though or popping into a pub for a meal i think i might scare the neighbours/other dinners being a grown bottom bloke in tights, i know i'm from Nottm but Robin Hood is no excuse :lmao:

So i pack my Ronhills as camp bottoms/PJ's but they're 326g :(

What did you wear around camp and as PJ's please?

Cheers
Mark

Podcast Bob

Pah! It's not a proper crossing unless you have at least 5 days and nights of continuous rain lol!!

Why is it, that when I'm NOT on it, everyone comes back with a suntan :(

Completely different from my videos from last year. I almost miss it.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Part 2 :)

[video=youtube_share;WQmFlOYNa5E]http://youtu.be/WQmFlOYNa5E[/video]

Thanks again for all the kind words re part one

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE