2-way Radios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Reciprocal licencing for amateur radio is fairly straightforward in the free world. The UK full amateur licence carries 'CEPT privileges' - so you can operate amateur radio equipment when holidaying in the EU and some nearby countries like Turkey that have signed up to it.

I found this very useful on my Arctic Circle trip, and got useful advice from local Finnish hams with my dual band handheld.

The American FCC have an agreement with the CEPT countries. If you have a US licence , you can operate in CEPT countries very easily. You just need your ham licence, passport and a printout of the relevant FCC notice. In fact I have often worked Americans holidaying in the UK.

Similarly, my UK licence allows me to operate in the US and Canada. I am, however, bound to the UK power restrictions (400 watts, as opposed to the 1.5 kW that an American ham can use at home.)

Thanks. I assume if an American ham operating in Britain would be subject to the lower UK power restrictions rather than the higher ones he was licensed for at home? Likewise for allowed frequencies? In other words; If the home nation rules and the host nation rules differ then obey the most restrictive?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The UK test is very simple (there are three in total but your up and running on the first with some restrictions) these days, no Morse test anymore.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Sorry, maybe i said far too much but i was trying to reply to everything that was being said.
Maybe one day i might but right now im not interested in talking to Hams because i don't have any time and would rather spend my money on other things.

I only ever mentioned the Chinese radios with more power simply because the guy asking about 2 way radios is going to be using them in the outdoors (im guessing..) and to use something you can buy in a supermarket for £30 running on 0.5w at a suggested range 2 miles is no use in a built up wooded area.
In my experience the only difference with the higher power is that it pushes the signed past a lot more obstacles (buildings/trees) so the person receiving will have a much better chance to hear you than if you were using a 'toy' so to speak.
If you are talking hill to hill the 0.5w will do the job no problem for miles and miles, just as long as you are not at the wrong side of the hill.
Also these Chinese radios are a lot more useful and compatible with other things if his hobby is to grow further and they sell at around £30 also.
He mentions the scouts too so im guessing he might be part of the scouts which i believe have or did have their own allocation which can be programed into these radios too.

People were also getting confused with what 'PMR' was so i only wanted to correct the confusion.

Hope i didn't come off the wrong way and i apologize for bringing up anything illegal, i was only informing him of what other people chose to do and what products are out there.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The two main types are as said the PMR/CB type and the licensed radio hams.

It's not quite right to lump PMR and CB in the same group. PMR is restricted to 8 channels on 446mhz and 0.5 watts power, whereas CB is legal for 40 channels on 27mhz FM UK band at 4 watts and also for 40 channels on the EU (CEPT) band, giving 80 channels, or 10x more channels and nearly 10x the power of PMR. There are nice multi-country handsets available too, such as the Midland 42 or the superb Intek H520plus...

[video=youtube;h1Mqw9yGd0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Mqw9yGd0Y[/video]

CB is licence free in the UK as of 2008.

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
In the UK there are three levels of amature licence, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. The Foundation is simple and easy to get and will let you talk to the world but the power is limited. Intermediate is also straight forward and gives you more power. Unfortunately (and controversially) the Advanced licence is quite difficult and needs application and study to pass.

If you wish to travel abroad and use your licence, only the Advanced licence is accepted to give you reciprocal privileges as it it the only level of licence that is accepted as being at the same level throughout the world (even though it is not). When I had a Foundation licence I visited the US and was disappointed to find I could not transmit. The only way was to take the US test but we did not have the time.

P.S. To be pedantic the only radios allowed on PMR446 are those specifically designed for it. The Chinese radios, even transmitting on the correct frequency at the correct power are still illegal to use though how anybody could ever tell beats me. But if there is abuse in the area and you are seen using a set, e.g. paint-balling or camping, that can cause that abuse you will have to answer some stiff questions.

Go and get a ticket, you may enjoy it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's not quite right to lump PMR and CB in the same group. PMR is restricted to 8 channels on 446mhz and 0.5 watts power, whereas CB is legal for 40 channels on 27mhz FM UK band at 4 watts and also for 40 channels on the EU (CEPT) band, giving 80 channels, or 10x more channels and nearly 10x the power of PMR. There are nice multi-country handsets available too, such as the Midland 42 or the superb Intek H520plus...

[video=youtube;h1Mqw9yGd0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Mqw9yGd0Y[/video]

CB is licence free in the UK as of 2008.

I stand corrected, so, there are two main types, licensed and un-licensed (broadly speaking). Are you going for your ticket Martyn?

IanM, do you use morse?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Morse, never. I have tried many times since I was a Wolf Cub 50+ years ago to learn but I just do not have the ear (I have never learnt to play a musical instrument either, the two are supposed to be connected), I can't tell the difference between a dot and a dash as as to distinguishing between the space between letters and the space between words, well.....

I have always played with radio, designing and building broadcast receivers with valves from the ground up and radio control boats and planes. When the Morse requirement was dropped I was straight in for a licence.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm the reverse, grew up with a ham, G5IW/GW5IW now silent key, and found morse very easy but the technical side stumped me. My interest in ham radio is now renewed but I'm STILL to take a test, missed two through illness but promise to asap (only one chap near me sorting out the tests so its now down to him) now I'm on the mend. Sandpiper are only down the road for antenna's and I'm laying in a loop in the attic, the loop is about as good as my 'hands on skills' go I'm afraid. Morse/QRP is the area that really appeals; not much interested in 2 metre to be honest.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I'm the reverse, grew up with a ham, G5IW/GW5IW now silent key, and found morse very easy but the technical side stumped me. My interest in ham radio is now renewed but I'm STILL to take a test, missed two through illness but promise to asap (only one chap near me sorting out the tests so its now down to him) now I'm on the mend. Sandpiper are only down the road for antenna's and I'm laying in a loop in the attic, the loop is about as good as my 'hands on skills' go I'm afraid. Morse/QRP is the area that really appeals; not much interested in 2 metre to be honest.

Well when you get your ticket then please call, hope to catch you on 80m, 40m

73 de M0ZAV

Cheers

Rick

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Santaman: yes, with reciprocal licencing you have to obey the tighter conditions, whether it is those of your own licence or the host nation.

Regarding morse: I know it is intimidating at first, but the Farnsworth method makes it much easier to learn than it used to be.

Morse is very much the outdoorsman's mode. VHF just doesn't work in remote areas like the highlands - even the repeaters are out of range. You could use SSB (voice) on HF, but realistically you need 20 watts for reliable comms, which means heavy batteries. With HF morse, you have reliable comms at the two watts level. Know more, carry less, as they say.

Chatting in morse with a Belgian operator from the beach at Knoydart. (No mobile phone or VHF signal, but old fashioned morse gets through!)

knoydart109.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fantastic thread! thanks to all of you for your info. Today I did some more research concerning reciprocity by looking up "Ham Radio" on Wikipedia. I know they are not the official source and not always completely accurate but they do manage to consolidate it somewhat rather than searching each relevant nations official regulations 1 by 1. As I suspected the reciprocity regs seem to be evolving as we speak. As do regs in general. They do seem to be based on common sense with the fiat that they aren't always up to date with the technology. On this thread I've heard one mention he was good at the technical side but not the Morse while another claimed the reverse. I think my biggest (though definitely not my only) frustration is going to be with the legalese. LOL. I will get through it though. It's just too fascinating a hobby not to pursue. Please lets keep this thread going.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Here in NZ it's possible to hire a small HF radio set to take with you if you're on an extended bush trip..

The service is called the Mountain radio service and the sets are very small QRP HF sets purpose built for the job.

For your hire you get the 'set' the antenna and some batteries..

the Antenna is a simple wire dipole that you set up as best you can...

IMG_0397.jpg

The system works on a schedule ( sked) so each evening at say 19:30 you set up the set and then listen in the set has only 2 frequencies so it's easy to RX in to the base station. You get a weather report for the NZ mountains. Followed by a round robin from base to all of the field sets for a report and any comments or messages. if you fail to make the Sked 2 nights running then the police / SAR are informed and depending on the situation a search might be kicked off.

The Beauty of HF is of course it works really well in the hills and this kit is about as simple a HF set up as you can get...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Interesting the NZ sets. I see they are 4 watts out. From experience, I have found 4w of ssb rather difficult in the UK on the lower bands (80m and 40m) even with a good antenna. Of course, the noise level on the bands will be a bit lower in NZ so it very likely works better out there.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I pulled the trigger tonight. Took both Technician (VHF and UHF) and General Class (VHF, UHF and HF) tests. Passed Technician with a 100% score and General with a 94.3% score. My call sign should be on the FCC webste next week and my paper license should be here next month. I can legally go on the air as a General Class operator as soon as my call sign appears on the database (if I can afford a radio)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I pulled the trigger tonight. Took both Technician (VHF and UHF) and General Class (VHF, UHF and HF) tests. Passed Technician with a 100% score and General with a 94.3% score. My call sign should be on the FCC webste next week and my paper license should be here next month. I can legally go on the air as a General Class operator as soon as my call sign appears on the database (if I can afford a radio)

Congratulations.... We'll have to have a chat...

Drop me a PM once you get a rig and I reckon we could chat / QSO on IRLP..

Maybe we should get a BCUK IRLP net going??

Cheers

John

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Congratulations.... We'll have to have a chat...

Drop me a PM once you get a rig and I reckon we could chat / QSO on IRLP..

Maybe we should get a BCUK IRLP net going??

Cheers

John

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll pm when I get a rig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE