2 night wild camping/walking trip Scotland (Galloway Forest possibly)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I was up there a few weeks ago for three nights, I mainly stuck to the southern upland way, it was hot, very hot but it was nice to cool off in the river at the end of each day, I found plenty of places to put the bivvy up for the night away from the main path and next to the river, there's plenty of burns to get water from along the way and the midges never bother me (I guess im just lucky ) I parked up at glentrool visitors centre (got a fortnight parking pass from the commissions office in Newton Stuart £12 as I went back up later for a few more days ). I didn't do the lochs as my mate is a midge attraction so just stuck to the river where there was a lot less of them.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Trig, Jiffi, Jim.b, thanks a lot lads for the updates etc. the trip is still on so will be taking all of that onboard, and taking you up on the offer jiffi.

thanks again

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Probably been mentioned before but try the old avon skin so soft, the original stuff. I live in the Glenkens and have been working in the woods for the last two weeks and fishing most evenings it works great for me. The midges are bad this year but the klegs are mental.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm hoping to get up north of border at some point. Would love to camp in Scotland and possibly do some foraging/cooking on a shore :)

Unfortunately non of my friends/family like outdoors/wild camping much really (Their loss), Anybody up for a group outing in Aug/Sept time? :D

Last edited:

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Try amazon, or any online shop. I get mine 5 bottles at a time, one in the car, one in the day sack, one for the garden, one for guests and one for back up. Cover all eventualities, it can be the difference between a good time and a "lets get back in the car and get the hell out of here" time.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Right! Well it's on for this weekend! Galloway forest here we come! Just getting some supplies in order!

So far I've managed today

qy4uquru.jpg

Couple of homemade 'stew packs' . This one is a variation on copper_heads chorizo gumbo jobbie!

a4ejanuz.jpg

Peanut butter and honey flapjack for energy, as we are walking the merrick on Saturday

nyqasude.jpg

And currently got some billtong type chilli sticks drying in the oven!

Got a couple of wayfarer meal packs as well just in case we don't catch any fish.

Gonna vac pack up a couple of breakfast grill packs as well.

The rest if the planning is all but done apart from packing the sack, which I'll do tonight as I'm heading to my brothers tomorrow straight from work, then we will set off early hours of Sat morning from Lancaster!

More updates to follow! :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If the midge and mozzie are real bad I like to use skin so soft, something with high DEET content, a natural based repellent like SMIDGE, long light clothing, a headnet, a smokey fire, garlic, you get the idea ;)
Chose your camp wisely and nice breeze makes all the difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE