1st time tarp help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
As it says above girls and guys.

I want one for over the tent partially (cooking) then for use without tent (when i learn a bit more) I have seen some on Amazon around 30 quid....any links or ideas etc on where to go and not to go ? Also something as a footprint for my banshee, the £store do 'tarps' for that i am told.

Cheers.

GlenV

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've got a DD ul tarp 2.9mx3m it is quite fragile so needs to be looked after. Also a TW Sargasso 3.9mx2.5m [the ripstop verion - again light weight so needs care, good dimensions for a hammock] I;ve often thought of getting a proper painter canvas drop and water proofing to make a harder wearing, albeit heavy, tarp.

I've also got a hankering for a parachute shelter as well...

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
As hammock man said. Poundland or local DIY store for a ground sheet tarp and DD for a cover tarp.
I have the DD 3x3 and it really is a great bit of kit. I also have the XL tarp which is I think 4.5x3 but seems a lot bigger !

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have an alpkit tarp that's excellent, normally use it fir 1-2 nights out when i want to travel a bit lighter than normal.

Tonyuk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
A DD 3x3 tarp is well made and very versatile. Since it's square you can set it up in many useful ways. A lot of the YouTube videos on tarp setups use of mention the DD 3x3 too.

Trotsky

As others have said, the poundstretcher tarps for their price are hard to beat for use as ground sheets/footprints or even shoring up your shelter if the weather really turns nasty. For above your head DD tarps are hard to beat in terms of quality vs price, I wouldn't recommend having a big fire under one however, a small fire for cooking should be ok. I've got a DD 3x3 tarp to supplement my 3x3 canvas tarp (from Bilmo) and I'm really happy with both. Somewhere I have a DD 4.5x3 multicam tarp but, it's in reserve only as part of it is full of pinholes after someone built up a fire a little too high beneath it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The recommendation for the DD 3x3 is sound. I have a couple and they're fairly tough and being square, very versatile. I have the lightweight version which is quite thin but a great hammock tarp. I wouldn't use any of them as a footprint, they will likely hole. I got a 8"x4" cheapo woven polyethene for that, and seating a few mates on damp ground.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
DD tarps are great for the price, we have two of each size! Only criticism is the stuff sacks are really bad, way too small to comfortably stuff and they can split easily. I recommend a larger stuff sack for your own sanity...

Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for all the replies. I now have a 3x3m 'thebluestone' branded tarp with cordage and pegs. I have been told it is fairly decent so we will see how it fares as well as my £land ground sheet.
GlenV

Norm De Plume

Aug 14, 2017
Suffolk
DD tarps are great for the price, we have two of each size! Only criticism is the stuff sacks are really bad, way too small to comfortably stuff and they can split easily. I recommend a larger stuff sack for your own sanity...

I've just bought some 4l dry bags. My 3x3 tarp and my frontline hammock fit in that size nice and snugly, with the advantage that you can compress them as you do them up and you will be surprised just how much smaller you can squash them down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE