1st(ish) Homebrew knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Hello all. I’m pretty new to the site but browsing through the many informative posts inspired me to have a go at knife making (I’ve always been tempted to give it a go but you guys rekindled the spark so to speak). My first attempt I wasn’t happy with so aborted it before I got as far as making a sheath for it so I suppose technically this is my second :) This effort is constructed from 1095 carbon steel (3mm thick) and is fitted with seasoned walnut scales (from a branch in our garden we took down about 5 years ago and saved just in case). The sheath is 3mm leather and was probably the hardest part for me. The whole package is a long way from perfect and if I’m honest I’m not 100% happy with it but if nothing else I feel like it’s taught me a lot ready for the next attempt :)
Any advice and constructive criticism would be very gratefully received.
Thanks for looking. James:)
Ps. Sorry about the quality of the pics but I only had my phone to hand 7882A240-36A2-40E1-BF71-B111362BA994.jpegA43959F4-D5F6-4049-B585-022014B788B8.jpeg9591D1DD-64DB-469A-8621-0541D5919C31.jpegC7ACCC19-07EE-4BC2-87A5-C78D8FE0214F.jpeg

Reactions: Kepis

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
For your first second attempt you should feel justifiably proud if you are not happy with certain aspects of it then make sure you dont make the same mistakes next time after all Rome wasnt built in a day.;)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not 100% happy?
Why? Looks handmade, looks good!

The only detail I would change for your next knife is the front part of the scales, that triangular bit that sticks out onto the blade.
Better cutting and less risk of damaging the woid it it is straight.
(imo)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I reckon that’s pretty good for a second attempt, and I’ve made a few attempts myself so I know what’s entailed. 3mm 1095 is ideal thickness and a good tool steel to work with. Pat on the back :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Refine your grinds and close up some of the fitment, but what a cool shape! I think the thing that most makes a knife work is heat treatment the rest is secondary and you can come back and refine most things, and the sheath is very good so over all dam good!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice work. Use it a lot, sharpen it a few times etc, and then consider what you might change as a result of that use. The next one you make will be even better :)

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Thanks for the compliments folks, much appreciated and thanks also for your helpful insight. I hadn’t realised I’d not included the size in the original post, the cutting edge is approximately 4”. The comments about being a potential daily user in the kitchen hopefully means I’ve done something right as most of my knives tend to get called on for cooking duty when out and about :). The front edge on the scales is something I’ve already started to regret to a degree purely from the final sharpening but to me the knife looked a bit bland when I trial fitted a flattened version. The fit and finish is a little on the rough and ready side as I didn’t want to spend too long on what is in essence a prototype. I don’t want to spend days making the thing perfect only to find my heat treatment method’s no good by snapping it first outing. I’ve already got two other knives as works in progress that will hopefully refine and improve on this one. Next step is as pointed out is to get out and start using and abusing it to see how it functions and what it’s strengths and weaknesses are. To this end it’ll be going to work with me to see how it survives farm use :devilish:
Thanks again. James :)

Reactions: Leshy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE