18 Mile Hump On Christmas Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
First of all, I'm aware this forum must be absolutely filled with advice and tips that I'm looking for but I wanted to make a thread to accumulate some here - I've spent some time browsing and have come to realise I cannot possibly find all the relevant threads.. I hope that's not against the rules or anything.. :cool:

So.. I'm planning a hike to my girlfriend's house on Christmas day, in case travel by car is not an option because of the snow and ice.

It's 18 miles away, so I'm planning to do it in around 6.5 hours, do you guys think this is accurate? I did a practise walk the other day and did 10.5 miles in around 3.5 hours.

So basically, I wanted some advice - any tips on what to take, think, do, etc.. Or is this idea just plain ludicrous..? :nono: .. Please offer any tips you think would be appropriate. I'll be mainly following the roads as I don't want to make any silly mistakes and get lost in a blizzard.. The route I'm taking has houses and towns on most of it so pretty safe and populated.

I hate how everyone over reacts when England gets a little bit of snow, but I also don't want to be stupid and under-prepared.

Many thanks for any help. :)

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Get plenty thin layers on , and a good pair of warm water proof boots... stick to the roads and pavements and you should be fine mate... it's great walking in this weather , enjoy it well it's here .....

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Be sure to drink often, there is very little humudity in this weather so you need to take on water.
Also take a good note of the weather and decide then if its ok to go for it on the day.

Dont know how much fun it will be walking through nawt but estates and towns etc but hey atleast its "out"

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My advice? Take your mobile. I went ar*e over t*t last year on snow over ice. Just knocked the wind out but could have been nasty. Ring the GF every hour with where you are and how you are getting on. A set of pull on ice grips for over your boots might be sensible too

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...I'm planning a hike to my girlfriend's house on Christmas day, in case travel by car is not an option because of the snow and ice.
It's 18 miles away, so I'm planning to do it in around 6.5 hours, do you guys think this is accurate? I did a practise walk the other day and did 10.5 miles in around 3.5 hours.

I don't think it's ludicrous but the time and effort will depend a lot on the conditions. Walking in deep snow is a lot harder and a lot slower than walking on good surfaces, so you may need to take that into account on the day. It sounds like you're aware of your own capabilities and you're planning things well as you've done a ten mile practice so you aren't worrying me yet. :)

...any tips on what to take, think, do, etc. ... don't want to make any silly mistakes and get lost in a blizzard.. The route I'm taking has houses and towns on most of it so pretty safe and populated.

Proper clothing, obviously. You've already heard about layering. Finding water isn't a real problem in the snow. :) Unless it's a full-on blizzard I wouldn't think of taking much more than a belt-sized survival kit for a hike like that although if the snow is deep you might want to think about skis. That distance on cross-country skis is a piece of cake. You might not find shops open on Christmas day so taking some energy foods wouldn't be a bad idea, or you may just want to work up an appetite for Christmas dinner. Don't be scared to knock on a door and ask for water or even for help if you think you need it.

I hate how everyone over reacts when England gets a little bit of snow, but I also don't want to be stupid and under-prepared.

I hear ya. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Very good tips so far chap, I would suggest a torch a map and a camera. memorise the routes visual landmarks like churches woods or carparks, charge your phone and trundle away, oooh don't forget sunglasses if its anything other than heavily overcast as any light will reflect off the snow and you'll become bored of the glare pretty quickly. And don't forget the pressie!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Wear a Hi Viz waistcoat as well if you have to walk on semi rural roads, Christmas day , there will be bound to be some numpty who's had a few bevvies and on the way home.

take layers but dont wear them all. huge mistake!! once you get into your journey you will start to sweat and the worst thing you can do is over sweat, 1, you loose vital fluids and start to dehydrate, 2, sweat becomes cold VERY quickly and thats the last thing you want when you have so far to go. As Ged said, being christmas day the shops will be closed. so take some energy foods and some water or even an energy juice lucozade or simular to keep the electolytes going. a good energy food is flapjack, i take atleast 3 bars when doing a 20 miler.

Personally if i had an 18 mile to do in cold snowy conditions, id take just a day sack with warm gear, water, energy foods, and spare socks pre powdered, and a small first aid kit. if the condidtions are pretty dire then a simple text an hour to some one letting them know your location. Make sure your foot wear is up to the job, dont wear wellys, they are a recipe for sprained ankles and horrible to walk over distance. a good pair of boots pref waterproof. A small flask of tea/coffee can raise moral and warm you up a little, i use cupa soups.
And remember if you are getting cold then movement is key to keeping warm. Keep sipping water, little and often to keep hydrated.
18 miles may seem a huge distance but its not that far and easily done in 3hours if you get on with it.
hope this helps

scotty

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE