18-200MM / 18-250MM lens for Canon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi there folks,

I'm considering getting one of these lens, particularly the Tamron offering, due to the features and lightweight of them.

I know there will be some compromise on quality of image but this will be a one lens fits all solution for family trips, jaunts into the hill when I really don't wont the weight and hassle of the multiply lens I have already.

Does anyone here use one, what are their thoughts and are there any other lens I should consider, with weight and range in mind

Thanks

Drew

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Most of these "superzooms" produce distortion and chromatic aberrations but decent image processing software like Photoshop or Lightroom can correct most of that.

It is certainly a compact one for all solution but if you don't have the means to correct it you may be less pleased with the results than otherwise.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Thanks Wayland, I use Lightroom for the rest of my shots, so that itself should not be a problem.

Do you have any other suggestions for a fair quality and lightweight lens that would cover most situations?

Thanks

Drew

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
We have a similarly spec'd Tamron lens from years ago - first used with one of the EOS range film cameras and more lately fitted to a 350D digital camera. I can't say that I've noticed any distortion or blurring but then I'm not that much into the photography as some.

Pleased with how it performs.

Ogri the trog

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks Wayland, I use Lightroom for the rest of my shots, so that itself should not be a problem.

Do you have any other suggestions for a fair quality and lightweight lens that would cover most situations?

Thanks

Drew

With the proviso given above that should be a pretty decent lens.

I've used Tamron stuff in the past and it tends to be well made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE