16th Knife Just About Finished.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Just about finished this one, a final polish and the edge to sharpen. 5mm 01 steel,green canvas micarta with red liners,stainless and brass pins. Jig filed bevels and nail-varnish saltwater makers etch. 240mm OAL,110MM edge.

Comments,good or bad welcome! Always looking to improve!!;)
Darren.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Loving this knife... Reminds me of a barky bravo 1..only problem is... I fail to see how you are going to improve on it.. :You_Rock_

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Wow thats nice, love the red liners on that, and the little bead is great too. How exactly did you do the makers mark? It looks tidy! Nice work :)

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!!

The makers mark is etched in using salt water and a 9v battery. You coat the blade with nail varnish then scratch the design into the varnish. I use an old dart. Connect a wire from the positive terminal to the blade and a wire from the negative terminal to the end of a cotton bud. Dip the bud in salt water and apply it to your design. It will bubble and etch the design into the steel. Then just clean it up with nail varnish remover.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks guys! The bead was just a left-over piece of micarta and a bit of the same pins.The lanyard will be dyed the same colour as the sheath once I get the time to make it.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Very nice you seem to have mastered what I am trying to learn myself. With the etch I found white wide masking tape works instead of varnish easy to remove .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Very nice you seem to have mastered what I am trying to learn myself. With the etch I found white wide masking tape works instead of varnish easy to remove .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks Paddy!

I've never heard about using masking tape mate! I'm interested! Care to elaborate on the technique? Can you scratch your design through the tape without it tearing up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE