16ft Apache canoe kit in Congo colour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Mmmmm.... swinging between the more stable 15ft Apache and the 16ft Tribe..... the 16ft Apache was a little tippy feeling for me... High centre of gravity etc!!! LOL

I've got a snake river in 15ft, & they can feel a bit "tippy" when you first use them, but fine after a few minutes, i'm a novice canoeist so no expert. The snakeys also come in a similar size/weight/style to the tribe, & are heavier which maybe a cinsiderstion when car topping.

Rob

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
I've got a snake river in 15ft, & they can feel a bit "tippy" when you first use them, but fine after a few minutes, i'm a novice canoeist so no expert. The snakeys also come in a similar size/weight/style to the tribe, & are heavier which maybe a cinsiderstion when car topping.

Rob

The Snake rivers tend to be staright copies of Old Towns.The 12 is an Old Town Pack,the 16 is an Old Town Charles River,the 15 I 'think' is a Venture Ontario (although I could be wrong on this one).

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mmmmm.... swinging between the more stable 15ft Apache and the 16ft Tribe..... the 16ft Apache was a little tippy feeling for me... High centre of gravity etc!!! LOL

It's important to look at the sort of paddling you want to do, before making a decision on which boat you buy, then look at the various ( more or less 4 in fact) basic hull cross sections. Take a look at this thread for some info on hull cross sections and their relevant suitability:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116

While the Apache 16 may have seemed "tippy", after a few paddle trips and ideally, some professional coaching, you would find it would become "lively and responsive."

I was fortunate to receive some top level, professional coaching from a local lad-Kim Bull. After which my confidence and ability increased in leaps and bounds. I had heard all sorts of stories about how the Apache was tippy but I found it a cracking boat to paddle, if not exactly to my own taste.

An awful lot of people buy canoes on recommendation and end up with boats that simply don't suit them or the paddling they actually eventually wanted to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE