• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
A first year Uni trip to the Yorkshire coast was full of students of both Archaeology and Geology.
We added three tons to the luggage on the bus coming home .....we just couldn't believe the amount of flint nodules just popping out of the glacial debris onto the shore. It was like manna :) :)

Awesome! Any clues as to where you went? I've been to the main prominent headlands and found a few bits but nothing huge, plenty of bits on the beaches from bridlington all the way to spurn point

Reactions: Greg

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Unfortunately, Flint and Flintshire have nothing to do with the mineral flint as far as I'm aware - happy to be proven wrong :)
I was of the understanding Flintshire was named after a town of Flint of which is named after Flint castle of which was supposedly named after the rock the castle was built on.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
There is another possible source if one seeks small pieces say about 20-40mm in size and that is builders merchants as I know flint is employed in the building and landscaping industries mostly for decorative purposes. Such names as Mortimer Flint, Golden Flint, Moonstone Flint, Woodsford Flint, Garden Flint, Black and White Flint, go and grab some samples or just plain ask them for a few pieces of each to see if they fit your need.

Failing that then go and look what burrowing animals have dug up or pole around in stream beds to go about breaking rocks to see what's around. And of course there's beaches in West Wales to go and poke around on.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Awesome! Any clues as to where you went? I've been to the main prominent headlands and found a few bits but nothing huge, plenty of bits on the beaches from bridlington all the way to spurn point

Holderness. It's the fastest eroding coastline in Europe.
Basically the whole vale of York is a glacial deposit and the sea is just eating it away.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Basically the whole vale of York is a glacial deposit and the sea is just eating it away.

Thanks Mary :) I've fished at Easington a few times, it's odd seeing the road crumbling over the edge!

Reactions: Toddy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have stood on the beach at Whitby and watched the cliffs crumble, it has been the site of quite a few substantional landslips in my time. I must go there again after the lockdown is over, while the famous Churchyard and Abbey are still there.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Mary :) I've fished at Easington a few times, it's odd seeing the road crumbling over the edge!

We visited one day, spent two days elsewhere and came back to finish recording an ancient beaver damn that was eroding out, and the sea had taken another 4m of land in that time.
It kind of scary to see it right there and then in front of us.
We think the land is unchangingly solid beneath us since we don't have active volcanoes....hah! we forget the surge of the water eroding it away at our peril.

On t'other hand, the tide comes in and out twice a day, it's as regular as the Moon, that's a lot of energy we could be harvesting. It would be an enormous undertaking to support and protect that coastline, but the power that could be gathered would be immense.
If we don't then England will eventually be virtually cut in half.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
My grand parents had a small cottage by the Gulf of Bothnia during the time I remember the coast line has moved out by about 30 m. "New" land is being created. Few things are for ever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE