• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm also on the lookout and happy to offer the same terms as Greg if someone comes up with a large amount.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you visit Hughenden Manor (National Trust) in Buckinghamshire and walk around the gardens you'll see flint piled up as rubbish from the gardening; not sure how good the quality is and, of course, we can't get there just at the moment :(

Reactions: TeeDee

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Teedee and greg what kind if sizes are you looking for?

I've got tonnes local, next time i'm out ill grab some bits, weigh them and take some pics.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Teedee and greg what kind if sizes are you looking for?

I've got tonnes local, next time i'm out ill grab some bits, weigh them and take some pics.

I'm after a mixture of sizes really. Not sure where you are based but be great to work something out.

Just want to knapp some pieces for Axe heads and knife and the break offs I can use for Arrow heads. Many Thanks.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I could go to the Norfolk Coast or Salisbury Plain and get loads too but alas we are in a Lockdown due to Covid and living in West Wales it's pretty impossible at the moment... But thanks for the idea
I understand the problem to here offer a possible solution, why not check out the geology of the region in which you live, to see if there is any flint or chert bearing sites in your own locale. For sure your local council website will have a geology section to consult. If you identify a possible site you might have to dig or find a watercourse that has dug to reveal but how far removed is that from what folk in the ancient past had to do, as something I was watching last night on U tube about some famous flint bearing ridge in the US revealed the natives had to dig for it as modern do folk with pneumatic backhoe chippers.

But to explain my interest and why I was watching what I was last night, I too have an interest in finding 'hard rock' from which to scrape metal to create sparks and beyond, the knapping, to through observing local geology surveys and observation, know flint nodules wash up on my local beach from time to time (and volcanic glass after storms). Something which I rather soonish intend to observe in earnest as I too have an interest in the 'primitive'

But beyond that, how far are you away from 'flint' shire in NE Wales?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have no idea where to find this now, but the Victorians and their determined industrialisation mapped every mineral resouce in the country, from volcanic vents of sulphur to coal, from copper to clay, from flint (much used after conversion to lime) to sandstone.

Find the old country mineral maps and have a wander :)

Reactions: Greg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
...that 'of note' generally meant that the best quality available for industry, not that the vein didn't come ashore somewhere nearby. Sea levels rise and fall, I'd definitely be up for a look at any nearby beach.
Scotland has very little flint, but we still find pebbles of it washed ashore on the west coast from just such a sunken peat/forest layer off Northern Ireland.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've found a good bit on the beaches of Yorkshire before, nothing of great quality (from my limited experience) a lot of it was very brittle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE