15 Items or less

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey guys

Just reading another thread and someone came up with the idea of a kit list that 15 items could be picked from for an overnighter.

Got me thinking, how about a bit of a challenge, 15 items or less.

You choose the items you want to take for a 2 night camp, list in this thread and then do it with photo's as proof. No prizes or anything just Bragging rights for the person who does it with the least.

It could be something that you do several times lowering the amount of kit you take each time.

So what do you think worth a bash?

Clothes on your person DONT count, bag DOES count Utility belts etc DO count. include food and water as 1 item. it would also be interesting to see how much each kit weighs

Lets hear form you

Dave

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Does a fire kit contain tinder and a ferro rod count as 1 item or 2?

Does a Cooking Set with burner and meths count as 1 or 2 or 3?

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
if the items cant be used without each other i.e. flint and steel then it counts as 1 item, tinder covers a multitude of sins but can be classed as one item. so in you example Tank they would class as 2. You could however forage for tinder whilst out and that wouldn't be added to your kit total so up to you really

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
i know it would be easy to do 15 but the whole point is to see how low a number you can get down to. The reason 15 is the starting point is that pretty much everyone can get involved and then challenge themselves from there

Dave

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
1. Groundsheet
2. Bivi
3. Sleeping Bag
4. Tarp
5. Swedish Army Trangia
6. Meths
7. Spork
8. Axe
9. Knife
10. Fire Kit (tinder)
11. Ferro Rod
12. FAK
13. Pack (Strike 40ltr + 10 side pouch)
14. Poncho
15. food and water
16. Head torch.

which is roughly what i took out the other weekend.
IMAG0452.jpg

think with a bit better weather i could get down to
1. Bivi
2. Sleeping Bag
3. Tarp
4. SAT
5. Axe
6. Knife
7. Tinder
8. Ferro Rod
9. FAK
10. Pack
11. food and water.
12. head torch

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
1 Food and water (I assume water includes waterbottle to hold said water)
2 Knife
3 Firesteel
4 Pot or large mug or billy
5 Tarp
6 Sleeping bag
7 Roll mat

What about the clothes on your back, you said thats NOT included? That changes things considerably. If I assume basic clothes (underwear, socks, trousers, teeshirt, boots) to be included then I'd add a wooly jumper and a hardshell jacket to my list.

Thats' about the least I could do it with. If I used the full 15 slots:

1 Food and water
2 Knife
3 Firesteel
4 Pot
5 Tarp
6 Hammock
7 UQ
8 Sleeping bag
9 Headtorch
10 FAK
11 Wooly hat
12 Compass
13 Map
14 Fork
15 Toilet paper

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
1. Food and water- assuming i can have the water in a bottle
2. Tarp
3. Sleeping bag
4. Roll mat
5. Bivvy bag
6. Lighter- Would take fire steel but i dont have one :)
7. Billy can or 58 pattern mug
8. Torch
9. Knife
10. Folding saw
11. SAK
12. First aid kit
13. Para cord
14. Nescafe 3 in 1's
15. Toilet paper

Id also like a kfs but could just make a spoon:D

As it was my thread i am in
may i add the same stipultions i mention in mine?
First Aid Kit and mobile phone arent counted as items but are allowed to be taken as a safety net.if it all goes horribly wrong you dont want to bleed out for the sake of getting bragging rights :)

if you smoke the smokes and parephenalia arent counted either unless you use the lighter to light fire or stove yes i know i am an addict

if you take a camera to document the weekends activites its not counted as i would happily ditch it but then not be able to prove what i did.

so you get free a FAK mobile,tobacco etc,camera

is that a fair addition?

Dont ask me ask dave his suggestion!
personally i think clothes could fall into the safety net mentioned with FAK and mobile, hypothermia is not something to brag about,
i'm giving this a go this weekend only over one night but i think it will be an interesting experiement for myself i am taking but not counting mobile smokes FAK camera and certain amount of clothes. might be bit of a cheat but hey

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Dont ask me ask dave his suggestion!
personally i think clothes could fall into the safety net mentioned with FAK and mobile, hypothermia is not something to brag about,
i'm giving this a go this weekend only over one night but i think it will be an interesting experiement for myself i am taking but not counting mobile smokes FAK camera and certain amount of clothes. might be bit of a cheat but hey

Well if hes happy to agree I'd say the clothing you'd normally find yourself in would be taken as a given. So trousers, socks, underwear, a teeshirt, fleece and soft shell. In other words what someone would be wearing in most cases when out for a walk. Hardshells, hats, gloves, longjohns, additional jumpers, lined trousers, would have to be included in the #15 list.

Well if hes happy to agree I'd say the clothing you'd normally find yourself in would be taken as a given. So trousers, socks, underwear, a teeshirt, fleece and soft shell. In other words what someone would be wearing in most cases when out for a walk. Hardshells, hats, gloves, longjohns, additional jumpers, lined trousers, would have to be included in the #15 list.

if he agrees that sounds fair to me
have to wait and see what he says.
so a general outfit for walking/camping is permitted hypothetically any extras need to be counted
Beenn may i ask why you have knife and SAK included? just curiosity really we all love a kit list to pick to bits here :)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
As far as i'm concerned guys FAK, Phone and Smokes are free if lighter is used to light fire or anything else other than to light smokes it counts as 1 of the 15. as for clothing imagine what you would wear on a cold day going on a 1-2 hour walk so hat gloves good base mid and waterproof layers pants and boots/socks anything over and above is included in the 15

Spoke to sam via PM and he suggested putting up a small prize so stay tuned folks as we thrash out the nitty gritty and then we will post up the amended rules and regs plus details of a prize

Dave

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I carry a knife for splitting wood ect, and the small blade on the SAK for food prep and the larger blade for whittling ( im not very good thou! )
Also the SAK has a can opener, scissors, tweezers, billy can lifter so its very handy:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well when a little warmer I'll give it a go. Yes too chicken in this cold. My list will be as follows: -

Tarp - Kathmandu Basha 2.4m x 2.4m - about 600g
Bivvy - Rab SZ about 230g IIRC
Quilt Golite - about 600g
Sack - either berghaus alpine extrem stripped about 1100g or Aiguille Alpine special stripped about 900 to 1000g
Mat - Outwell CCF - 130g
White box stove (comes complete with windshield and reflector small bottle 8oz IIRC not sure how many items but can't really use stove without these)
Pot - AGG 3 cup pot about 70g to eat, cook and drink from.
Lighter - Intend to tire myself out and I am a nightmare at using my firesteel with the WBS
Food and water
Spoon
Knife

Then clothing will be Boxers, trews, base layer, softshell, hardshell, boots and socks. I will also bring a beanie but not sure if thats in the 15.

I reckon that is 11 plus the clothes, am I right about that? Dave said hardshell is part of allowables I assumes the beanie is as I wear them walking as well.

I don't know all the weights of my stuff but the bits I know only weigh 2.63kg. Guessing I am quite light but not going to win the minimum number of items. My goal is to get everything in my Alpkit gourdon 20l which weighs 600g. I could strip that down to about 500g I think which wouuld save me 500g on the stripped aiguille sack above or total weight 2.13g. Anyone beat that or get close? I am sure someone will completely hammer that weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE