13 year old pc.....

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Has finally died i think!Im getting a message on startup 'hard drive failure' along with loads a computer numbers/words.
It was 13 year old running a powerful 512mb:D,just lately its taken like 15 minutes to load up then a further 5 minutes to connect to the internet.........glad i got my sons laptop:)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Wow. I still have my old 486 dx266 from 13 yrs ago with an awsome 850mb hard disc.
The old stuff was the best.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
You might be right mate but mine sure as hell was slow towards the end and very frustrating:rolleyes:
Ah well.....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been hacking up an old tower today for a tent stove I'm building, it used to run Win98 very well until a few months ago.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I've been hacking up an old tower today for a tent stove I'm building, it used to run Win98 very well until a few months ago.

Is that to destroy content thats still on it rich?
Mine has loads of pictures on it,some i cant replace so need to get them off somehow before i destroy it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is that to destroy content thats still on it rich?
Mine has loads of pictures on it,some i cant replace so need to get them off somehow before i destroy it.

I'm just using the steel case and inner frame to build my stove from, still got the hard drive and other bits to deal with, they'll probably just get the lump hammer treatment.

If the hard drive isn't completely dead you could connect it to a working machine and just drag the files off. You'll probably have to buy a lead to convert the old connection to your current machine.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I'm just using the steel case and inner frame to build my stove from, still got the hard drive and other bits to deal with, they'll probably just get the lump hammer treatment.

If the hard drive isn't completely dead you could connect it to a working machine and just drag the files off. You'll probably have to buy a lead to convert the old connection to your current machine.

Cool,salvaging what you can eh!
my nephew says he can remove the pictures so pleased about that before i destroy it.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Hard drive platters are useful for hanging in the vegetable garden to scare off birds. They also contain very strong magnets which are useful

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
But i dont have a vegetable patch and i like birds;) magnets would be good though...i'll keep me eyes open for those.

Hard drive platters are useful for hanging in the vegetable garden to scare off birds. They also contain very strong magnets which are useful

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Just been stung for 80 quid for my pictures + 8gb memory stick..ouch!
at least i got my treasured picture though:approve:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Would have been easier and cheaper to chain it as a slave drive and recover that way plus you would of had a spare drive then.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I had no option but to take it to a shop as i would know where to start,theres many pictures of my mam on there who passed away 2010 so £80 to recover those is worth it...

Would have been easier and cheaper to chain it as a slave drive and recover that way plus you would of had a spare drive then.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The magnets are well worth keeping. They are Neodymium rare earth magnets and are strong as hell. Open the hard drive and you will find them as per the diagram below. One above the actuator and one below.

mag.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
1. Put hard drive in ziplock bag
2. put hard drive in freezer for 24 hrs
3. Plug in quickly and back up data whilst platters are condensed by cold
4. save 600 notes :D

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Well,i got all my pictures:35:
Stripped the hard drive and found one magnet and a very nice shiny disc,the hard drive is dead.....melted it with a blowtorch:AR15firin.
R.i.p hp pavillion:campfire:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE