127 hours, what would you have done?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A little threadomancy here.

I eventually got around to watching 127 hours last night, I like Danny Boyle's work and I think he managed to put together a very watchable film about a man stuck in crevasse in the middle of nowhere.

A little note at the end of the film indicates that Aron still gets out and about but now lets folks know where he will be going and when to expect him back.

Always a good idea. :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
There is a weird peculiarity in some people in that they are drawn to catastrophe and disaster. I get bored to tears with such attitudes. As a total contrast I thought I would add this humorous introduction from a book called 'Round the World on a Wheel' where the adventure was humdrum and they ''came home quietly''.

Below:- introduction to a book called 'Round the World on a Wheel'

We took this trip round the world on bicycles because we are more or less conceited, like to be talked about, and see our names in the newspapers. We didn't go into training. We took things easy. We jogged through Europe, had sundry experiences in Asia, and survived the criticisms of our country from the Americans. For two years we bicycled in strange lands, and came home a great disappointment to our friends. We were not haggard or worn, or tottering in our gait. We had never been scalped, or had hooks through our spines ; never been tortured, or had our eyes gouged ; never been rescued after living for a fortnight on our shoes. And we had never killed a man. It was evident we were not real travellers. Still, away somewhere at the back of our heads, we are rather proud of what we have done. We have accomplished the longest bicycle ride ever attempted, Just 19,237 miles over continuous new ground. We were stoned by the Mohammedans because they alleged we were Christians, and we were pelted with mud in China because the Celestials were certain we were devils. We slept in wet clothes, subsisted on eggs, went hungry, and were enforced teetotalers. We had small-pox, fever, and other ailments. There were less than a dozen fights with Chinese mobs. We never shaved for five months, and only occasionally washed. Our adventures therefore were of a humdrum sort. If only one of us had been killed, or if we had ridden back into London each minus a limb, some excitement would have been caused. As it was we came home quietly.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I cringe at the thought but I could probably do it. I once got back on my bicycle and cycled 11 miles to the nearest hospital when I came off whilst green laneing and it turned out I had fractured my patella and done some fairly major damage to the joint generally. I don't think any of us knows what we are capable of doing until we are faced with something that pushes us.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cranmere - I know that kind of pain!
I dislocated my knee hiking in the Pennines (the Fib was out of position for several years - eventually wearing itself a new position ... the NHS never picked up on this...) and I walked off... 15 miles. I saw a doctor the next day and he said I had torn a muscle - not wrong in itself as I had torn all the muscles around the joint, the ligaments and the cartilage!
In all I walked 40 miles on the joint in this state and just a crepe bandage for support (I was in the middle of a Lands End to John O' Groats attempt and did not want to give up) before I stopped the walk, spent a while healing and went back to work as a volunteer Outdoor Skills Instructor.
This injury (and its poor diagnosis and treatment) is what has been the cause of nearly all my musculo-skeletal problems ... though an undiagnosed broken neck in my teens has not helped...
Basically you do what you have to when you have to - or just give up and die!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I don't know, not sure anyone really knows until they're thrust into a live or die situation. I do know that any blade I have on me would be sharp!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Only thing I have done that comes even close to what he did is pull my own thumb out of my hand once after I dislocated it and the bottom half of my thumb disappeared into my palm.. I'd already broken a finger a month or so previously and had to have it pinned back in place, and I'd pick doing that 10 times over dislocating my thumb again! I'd like to think I'd do whatever it took to survive, but as people have said before, you never know what your capable of until you have to do it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE