127 hours, what would you have done?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cutchy

Jan 18, 2011
Ayr
Just sitting watching 127 hours on tv and wondering what others would have done in this situation??

Cutchy

Jan 18, 2011
Ayr
Haha aye. You wouldn't have got that far anyway jinty the landy would no squeeze in that cave haha

Cutchy

Jan 18, 2011
Ayr
I would of took my "ray mears" experience and whittled a phone out some rock and ordered a kebab

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
we had this discussion in the office when the film first released,...

the crux is,.....

you would do exactly has he had,....

not taking owt away from the guy but he wasnt (and iiirc, doesnt claim) to have done anything extraordinary,....

faced with death, and the thought of not seeing my family again i'd have EATEN through my arm to survive,...

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
miles888 i havent seen the program but if its my last hours id like to be out doing photography
then smoke a joint n slip off quietly listing to tunes on ipod

mommas gona marry a priest from nam, she got flat feet but can take the heat
bulley - bulley, bulley - bulley,........... ow d..d..d...da

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
in all honesty i think i'd cry like a little girl and die really slowly. i'd like to say that i agree with raikey, and that faced with the same situation i'd chew through my own arm to see my family again but i'm not entirely sure that i could manage such a task. anger, fear, shame, hopelessness, resignation, and eventually apathy would all have their own turn at destroying my will to live, along with hunger, thirst, pain, sunstroke(i presume?) etc. that's a mighty powerful combination, i really don't know if my "will to live" is stronger than all those things. i hope that i never have to find out

cheers

stuart

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Jeeee, even reading about it I can feel the blunt blade in my arm. He did what he needed to do to survive, hope no one will have to do the same... I don't know if I had the same stamina though to survive that long. That's quite amaizing.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That Aron Ralston is one brave dude.....I'd like to shake his hand..:rolleyes:

What any of us would do in a similar situation is mear conjecture, no one can know in advance what their reactions would be in real survival situations...no harm in dreaming though, we all have a little bit of Rambo in us :D

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
I would of probably done the same, but i do carry a better multitool lol, funny thing is since watvching that ages ago with my wife she gets me to txt her before i go off MTB'ing as i do like to disapear for 5-6 hours, i do get it though as i dont tell folk where im going, i do now,

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
his knife wasn't blunt when he went out he'd been using it to stab and slash the rock trying to move it (and probably out of frustration too)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
his knife wasn't blunt when he went out he'd been using it to stab and slash the rock trying to move it (and probably out of frustration too)

the knife was blunt when he went out, he just blunted it further. He also mainly used the smaller blade on the multitool, which he hadn't really been using the stab the rock so much. So it still had a bit of an edge to it, otherwise it would never have cut through skin and muscle.

Mind you, he still had to snap the nerve ending rather than cut it, that takes some balls.

Not sure I could do the same in his situation, but I'd like to think I would. He is brave, but his mind was also totally warped by the time he came to actually breaking/cutting his arm off. Whilst reading the book I got the distinct impression that he was a bit of an idiot to be honest. It wasn't the first time he'd made a careless and potentially fatal mistake. Hopefully he's learnt from that, I'm sure he has...

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Haven't seen it and not sure I could watch it having damaged my right arm so badly that it nearly cut my hand off completely.

I have a pretty good idea what it's like to get through the skin, muscles, tendons, arteries and nerves, didn't quite cut through the bones just fractured them, remembering it is making me wince just writing this... :( That was 29 years ago and I still have no feeling in that hand and due to restricted blood flow it's always freezing cold. [shudders] :(

I don't remember as I was in shock, but I was told that I lost pretty much half of my blood in the time in took the ambulance to get there and all they could do was wrap it in bandages, so many that it looked like a small rugby ball in the end, I almost died from that but after a month or so at East Grinstead, nine months in plaster and 2 years learning to use a hand I can't feel it's all good. :)

I certainly wouldn't be blasé about having to cut my arm off to survive, mine was an accident, to actually cut it off yourself... :(

Ah sod it, I'll grab it and have a watch later on as I can't really comment on what he should or shouldn't have done without seeing it, apart from the fact that the human arm is a tough beast to get through.

Si

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If it comes to life or death... life wins every time, no question. Its just a matter of time before desperation outweighs the fear of doing something like that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE