1 to 2 mm veg tan calf skin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Looking at the net I've only found veg tan calf skin in large pieces. To cover the longseaxs ash scabbard I need a piece 7 inches by 23, between 1 and 2 mm thick, which is what? 3 or 4 ounce? I doubt I'd use such light stuff again so there's no point buying a hides worth (also getting it past the funding committee would be unlikely after recent buys...) so does anyone know of a supplier of he genuine article who does smaller pieces or ideally has a hide they can sell me a section of?

atb

Tom

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Try
371004692558 on eBay

Sold as slight seconds buy one get one free. I got the 3mm offer. Slight marks on the skin which disappeared when stained.

Good value.

Just saw the 23 inches long. May be worth contacting directly otherwise you need to do it in 2 pieces.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Unfortunately I'm trying to copy ones dug up at York and they are single pieces with a seam down the middle of the back. Worse still they are butt sewn edge to hide so the stitches will be invisible from the outside. Jeeze. I should have just used plywood wrapped in gaffer tape! Why do I do these things to my self ?!

if it proves beyond me to stitch through the edge of such thin leather I will have to resort to some other stitch, I forget the name but where you stitch face through to face and leave a little ridge or spine. Strictly speaking that was more common later but is a shed load easier!

Thanks!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've been thinking along those lines, more charity shop jackets. The problem is I'd really like to get a undyed, un treated piece. However, now I'm considering it I once bought some rather nice veg tan from a upholsterers in Bolton, I think, one of the B towns in Lancs anyway, herself will remember...

cjheers!

Tom

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Would goat skin be an alternative option? As far as I know it would still be period correct, it's thinner, and it's stronger.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Would goat skin be an alternative option? As far as I know it would still be period correct, it's thinner, and it's stronger.

No I must admit I'd not thought of goat skin, I'll have to check if any of the dug sword scabbard covers were goat, I remember that some of the knife sheaths were. Is goat any cheaper than calf? I've never used it before.

Thanks!

Tom

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Goat is generally more expensive than calf, Tom. But it is nice to work with, much stronger, thinner, and would have been available then also. One good size goat skin should get you by for the project with some left over.
I mostly use Tandy for leather, but the goat from lePrevo has been good in the last:

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE