1 for the GPS experts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Is there any advantage to having a handheld unit (geko 201) over a wrist mounted 1 (fortrex 101)??

Just got my oT from Xmas and new year through and going to treat myself!!!!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Two things really:

1 - The Foretrex is a wrist mounted device - if you think that this is useful, then factor this in, otherwise it can be a pain.
2 - Secondly, the Geko can be powered from a 12v supply (with the right cable, available from http://www.lynks.co.uk) while the Foretrex is, if I remember correctly, battery only.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
The power question for me is a no brainer, its for out door use only ( where is your nearest power outlet?) I already have a PDA system for the car. Although there is nothing by the looks of it strapping the wrist unit to a bergen strap.

Both have PC link cables, and from the looks of Garmins website, they look like the same unit it different housings.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
They basically are the same unit ... identical memory, screen, antenna. The interface is a little different on the Foretrex for that's about it.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Celtic Dragon said:
The power question for me is a no brainer, its for out door use only ( where is your nearest power outlet?)
Usually it's hanging on my backpack - it's a solar charger! Very handy, especially for extended trips, lighter than spare batteries too! :wink:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
It looks huge in that picture though. I think that's a handheld computer it's next to in the picture rather than a laptop. It easily fits on the top of my backpack (under the bungees).

BTW I like the look of the wrist GPS but I would expect that the buttons would be more fiddly to use, especially in the cold. Everything else except the power input looks the same. Tough call indeed! :eek:):

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Kath + Adi,

Thank you for your input, the foretex 201 it is then. Just had a quick look on Garmin's website, and they do a 12 cigarette adaptor for it unlike the 101.

Just out of intrest how much are the solar chargers?

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
On a recent TV show I spotted some extreme racers/iron men types sporting flexible solar panels on their back packs. A web search has turned up these guys: Britisheco.com who offer stuff like this:
britishecoshoppingsite

An excerpt from the website description follows. The 12oz weight and roll up capability [for packing] appeal. Does anyone have first hand experience with this product?

The BatterySAVER FLEX™ 5 will provide a constant trickle of energy to maintain 12V deep cycle batteries, keeping them topped-up while not in use. Great for batteries that are seldomly used or in storage. Helps extend battery life and reduce costly battery replacements. This solar panel can also run GPSs, cell phones and other portable electronics through the optional power connectors. General Specifications Model Number: 04200 Wattage: 5 watts Peak Output: 300 mAmps@16.5 volts Approx. Watt-Hrs / Day *: 20 - 25 Approx. Amp Hrs / Day *: 1.4 - 1.75 Dimensions: 23.5" x 12" / 597 mm x 305 mm Weight: 0.8 lbs / 0.36 kg Temperature Range: -40ºF to 176ºF / -40ºC to 80ºC Warranty: 3 years * Based on 4 to 5 hours of average daily peak sunlight hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE