1:25,000 scale UK mapping software ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not too sure what your looking for, but you could look at memory-map. Just stick that into google and you'll see it.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Assuming you're meaning for free, multimap are now doing 1:25000 in selected areas although it difficult to tell sometimes. Otherwise the OS stuff and anquet all do 1:25000.

Cheers,

Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks Nag

I always thought MM was at 1:50,000 but it looks like they do OS Explorer too :D

£80 a region is a bit harsh though :( I was hoping for the full UK for about twice that price.

I`ve got Anquet which is good but only goes down to 1:50,000. I`ll see what comes up.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
mine's 1.1.8 but I've not got 1:25k either I just noticed their newsletter in my spam bucket and it mentioned it there. Just had a poke about on their website and they've changed the way it works, s/w is free you pay for your maps but you can cut your own etc so may be good. I suspect the maps will be expensive but they do do 1:25k

Cheers,

Alan

I have memory map and it is truly awesome softwear expecially the 3d facility. I've recently been given a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and it has a facility to upload maps and I got the whole UK topography map with it-which is great but not as detailed as memory map as MM is OS maps. Garmin have released the national parks at that scale on a card that slips into the gps and I'm waiting for them to release the whole of the uk, these will cost around £30 (so the guy said when I went in to buy one last week and he told me they are not released yet.) in Tisos which is excellent value for money.

I don;t think memopry map is compatable with Garmin? I certainly cannot get it to work on my GPS, so i'll need to go with whatever Garmin produce, but Memory Map is exactly a reproduction of OS maps and they are awesome to use.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Memory map definately works with my Garmin GPS no problems at all. Plus you can get a National Parks version -which not surprisingly covers all the National Parks. I picked this up from .Blacks for just under £30 after a bit of haggling and it covers everywhere I generally go walking.

Memory map definately works with my Garmin GPS no problems at all. Plus you can get a National Parks version -which not surprisingly covers all the National Parks. I picked this up from .Blacks for just under £30 after a bit of haggling and it covers everywhere I generally go walking.

Do you have the memory maps installed on your Garmin or just on the pc and integrated with the gps? If they are installed on your Garmin, which model is it and how did you do it?I have the Garmin oregon 300.

WS

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I have the Garmin etrex, I suspect its the cheapest most basic model. I have the map software on my PC and connect the GPS to transfer waypoints / routes from one to the other.

The etrex doesn't show maps though, I take it thats what you want the Oregon to do.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
The Garmin Maps are £30 per region - So each county is £30. When the UK or England comes out on one you're probably looking at over £100 - £150.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'll confirm that Memory Map do OS 25k maps of the entire UK. They also do 50k maps of the entire UK and some other maps like the A to Z and aerial views as well.

Memory Map is fully compatible with Garmin and although the Memory Map viewer is really basic (and pretty bad IMHO) you can transfer routes, tracks and waypoints between the two. Of course you can't upload the maps to your Garmin unit as they are bitmap based and Garmin maps are vector.

If you are using a laptop you can plug your Garmin unit into the laptop and use it to navigate with.

AFAIK Memory Maps are only compatible with the Memory Map viewer whereas some other maps such as Garmin maps can be read by third party programs if you want.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
My understanding is that the Memory map - Garmin compatibility is limited to transferring waypoints, tracks, routes etc. You will never see MM OS maps on a Garmin. Garmin maps are in a proprietary format.

I have memory map and use that with a cheap £45 Navigo GPS which you can easily hack back to the Windows CE operating system. Works a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE