1/2" Spigot in beech

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For several years now I've had a old Pearsons Pottery vinegar bottle but have never brought it into use due to a lack of a spigot to fit on it. I've begrudged the 8 quid or so (including postage) to buy a 1/2" spigot / tap to go on it and finally decided to have a go at making one.

5YtntRu.jpg

Apart from not realising modern commercial spigots have a inset cork section to give a tight seal until I'd made the damn thing it was dead easy. Once again i used (about a third of) a carboot rolling pin. I'll do a tutorial when i make another and incorporate the cork seal. This one has a inset section of oiled leather on the down spout to give it a very tight fit and hopefully not leak. It was all lathe turned or drilled on the lathe except the hole for the turney bit to go in which was brace and bit job, the top of the turney bit was turned as basically a mushroom shape and then sawn roughly into a flat section then permagritted to death to give a better shape to grip.

Once it has been tested ( assuming it don't leak after a couple of days for things to swell or not) it will go on a shelf near the cooker.

My mam can recall being sent as a very small girl to get her grandmothers vinegar bottle filled at a neighbours who ran a tiny sort of shop in a shed which sold vinegar and pop.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE