1-2 man tent recommendation about £90

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
planning to do about 5 day trek and weighing up which one of these tents to get on the go outdoors websites

I dont really know a good brand from a bad one as far as tents are concerned so could you recommend any of these or any other tent in the £90 price range i dont mind spending a bit more if its a tent which is going to last the distance

North Ridge Col 1 Person Backpacking Tent

Vango Banshee 200 Tent

Wild Country Coshee 2 Backpacking Tent

also the hi-gear-soloista but at its price its probably not going to last very long at all and i dont think its rainproof?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I have edited all the links out of your original post and left just one to the Go Outdoors tent section in the text. It seemed slightly like over the top advertising to Go Outdoors but I have decided to release it anyway to read peoples thoughts on these tents.

I have owned a Banshee 200 (until some rodent ate through it in my garage).

It was a good lightweight(ish) tent that stood up to high winds in the Western Isles.

This two man version is ideal for one with all their kit.

Hopefully owners of the others will post up.

Good luck and welcome to BCUK.

George

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Vango tents are a bit over your price but are good tents. I own the Coleman Cobra 2 which is a good tent and costs less than £80 if you search around.
I don't have personal experience with the Soloista but the specs aren't good. 1500 hydrostatic head isn't very waterproof, neither is the 3000 groundsheet.
I wouldn't go less than 3000 on the outer fly, 5000 is better.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
From the selection it doesn't look like weight or size is a problem. So go for something palacial, 2 entrances , ground sheet, good headroom, porch etc. I could be wrong though.

My personal favourite lightweight value for money tent, the Coleman X2 falcon.

But if I was looking in the 2 - 2 1/2 kilo a tunnel or dome tent is going to give you a far roomier feel, plus hopefully all of the features I listed.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
thats shameful, I'm sure that wilco's don't stoop to suck tacticx, I'm never shopping there again until they admit it and cough up some sponsorship for the site. Infact I believe Cotswolds even pricematch all of the aforementioned companys stuff in there online site.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My only warning to all is that Coleman like a lot of American tents have a lot of internal mesh, this saves weight but does make them airy and "cooler" is our generally "cooler" climes. Nice in this heat though.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
coleman are like lavvy's then ? Just a mesh for keeping of mosquito's ? Actually I do like the pyramid tents, cut down on the condensation, whilst giving a working space with a ground sheet, mosquito protection, a good headroom, and good stability, only problem is the central pole. Any corrections welcome,

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
coleman are like lavvy's then ? Just a mesh for keeping of mosquito's ? Actually I do like the pyramid tents, cut down on the condensation, whilst giving a working space with a ground sheet, mosquito protection, a good headroom, and good stability, only problem is the central pole. Any corrections welcome,

With some of the lighter pyramid tents there is a loop at the apex which allows you to hand the tent from something overhead - tree - and do away with the pole. I have a wee cheepy one which we sometimes use for storage and we do this.

I wasn't having a go at Coleman by the way, it's just a lot of American tents have mesh inners and shorter fly sheets for more air circulation, though the latter can cause problems in our climate due to rain splashing under the fly and spindrift getting in in winter.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've a Coleman Coastline 8 and a Robens Double Dreamer, the Robens perhaps has the edge on build quality but not by much, the Coleman tent is solid. Talking to Americans its seems dome tents by Coleman are not at all easily available in the USA and they seem to stick a lot to 'cabin' and traditional style US type tent design.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
don't the vango force 10 ridge tents have an 'A' frame pole, that would be useful !

Edit:

it's only that coleman tent I like specifically, but then again I'm not easily pleased. Lightweight, roomy, and reasonable value. I don't even like the look of the coleman falcon x1 as it's got no head room.

Last edited:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
As he or she only made one post linking to go outdoors I think they were just here to push the company.

As a moderator I made the decision to release this thread (but heavily edited).

Go Outdoors I think are a big enough company that they do not need to rely on individuals trying to advertise it.

Personally I think that the OP was just trying to be helpful.

Please make any posts on this threads about tents from now on and if you have any queries about anything else please PM me.

Thanks

George

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
I've been using the Vango tempest 200 quick pitch. Two main Allu hoop poles. Slightly heavier but ultra rain proof. Inner stays up on my setup so no farting around - pitch in one. Big plus is large porch area. Can cook and stow stuff. Not good in hot weather! www.tents-sale.com 109.99
Surprised they still make this old model. Often seems out of stock too.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
My Vango Beta 250 has been excellent. It has survived high winds and thunderstorms without problems.

Things I look for in a tent:

Outer first/all in one pitching. This means that if you have to pitch in the rain, the inside of your tent wont get wet. Look for pole tunnels in the outer skin of the tent. If the tent has its poles going through the mesh inner, and the flysheet is a separate piece over the top, pitching it in the rain while keeping the inside dry is going to be a real hassle.

Vertical doors: when the doors are wet with dew or rain, with a vertical door you can knock the rain off from the inside before opening it. You can then push the door fabric outside the tent. If the door is sloped, for example if it is in the end and not in the side, then knocking the water off is much more difficult because it just lands further down the slope. When you open the door, the wet door fabric comes into your tent and drips everywhere.

Large porch with groundsheet: This is where you store all your wet gear, leaving the inner tent dry and clean. Some tents have no groundsheet in the porch so if you are pitched up for a few days you will chew the grass up crawling in and out, making a muddy mess inside your tent.

Size: at least one person bigger than the number of people who are going to be in it. For two people, choose a three person tent. You are going to need that extra room for your dry gear.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I'd recommend the wild country zephyros 2, its a great little tent and the old models can be had for less than £100 now. Been using mine for about 18 months. No issues although a little modding is required to make it really shine :).

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
no i wasnt advertising gooutdoors i wanted to be away on a trip and gooutdoors is the only store near me that i know of that sold out door gear since millets in middlesbrough closed down

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive got the banshee too great lightweight one man tent, however the only negative is getting dressed in the morning theres a bit of an art to it but then your never going to get much room in a lightweight backpacking style tent unless you move towards a pyramid style fly sheet or similar. Being low to the ground though it does hold up well in foul weather and makes for a good nights sleep in the wind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE