!00th Anniversary on the 4th August.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya All,

It's the 100th Anniversary of Britain's entry into WWI on the 4th of August. Just wondering if anyone's got anything planned?

There's various events planed here and abroad like the following: -

Three national commemorative events to mark the First World War Centenary will take place on 4 August this year, the 100th anniversary of the date that war was declared.
The events in Glasgow, Mons in Belgium, and London form a key part of the UK Government’s centenary programme and will take place across the whole day.
The three events are:
10am – Glasgow Cathedral – Commonwealth-themed service and Cenotaph service in George Square
Organised in partnership with Glasgow City Council, the service will reflect the Commonwealth contribution to the war. It will be followed by a wreath-laying service at the Cenotaph in George Square where a commemorative plaque will also be unveiled. HRH The Duke of Rothesay (as the Prince of Wales is known in Scotland) will attend. The cathedral service will be shown live in George Square, which will be open for public access.
7:30pm (UK) – St Symphorien Military Cemetery in Mons, Belgium –Commemorative event
This commemorative event for around 500 guests is organised in partnership with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and will be based around music, poetry and readings which reflect the history of this site.
HRH The Duke of Cambridge, accompanied by HRH The Duchess of Cambridge will attend this event with HRH Prince Henry of Wales. Mons City Council will screen the event live in Mons Town Square for members of the public wishing to be involved with the event.
10pm – Westminster Abbey – Candlelit Vigil
Westminster Abbey will be hosting a candlelit vigil and an evening of prayer and reflection. This will include the gradual extinguishing of candles with the final candle being extinguished at 11pm. HRH The Duchess of Cornwall will attend this service.
The vigil will end with the cathedral in darkness except for a single light on the grave of the unknown warrior. Anglican churches around the UK will also be participating, along with other faith groups, to complement the event in London, including services at St Anne’s Cathedral in Belfast and Llandaff Cathedral, Wales. The event at Westminster Abbey will be by invitation only.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Both my grandfathers fought in WW1, & I have a great uncle who died on the first day of the battle of the Somme & has no known grave.

Rob

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My eldest son is in the cubs and they are doing a commemoration day which we shall be attending - apparently [my wife told me] out of everyone going to cubs there's only about 3 who have said they'll turn up :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE