Yew longbow fresh out the shop.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all,

Its been an age since I made a yew longbow. I have been concentrating on short high stress designs for the last few years so it was time to make something more traditional. Well i say traditional but it has overlays rather than ye olde horn nocks to keep the weight down and a flatter profile rather than a D. The bow is 73 inches nock to nock and about 60 lbs at 29" It has a few more inches draw in it but its all my shoulders will take at the minute not to mention trying to get used to a different knocking point.
The arrows are tipped with EverythingMac bodkins. I have only put my test arrow through it so far and they were too light. Once i get some decent weather and a volunteer I will take some draw shots.

No idea what i am going to do with this one, might move it on at some point once its shot in as i prefer my bows flat and small :)
Was going to call this one "lights out" as its cost me three striplight bulbs so far!

P1010020-1_zps98be6f9c.jpg

P1010026-2_zps038b29c5.jpg

P1010022_zpsdfa26469.jpg

P1010038_zps892fdf13.jpg

P1010034-1_zps0c53e786.jpg

P1010029-1_zpsfb92c055.jpg

P1010028-1_zps810b4751.jpg

P1010039_zps91a0fb40.jpg

Will post more when i can, thanks fer looking.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Beauty! I can see you've had some bad weather too:) I think the overlays beat the horn nocks on this one. And the handle looks great!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
It's when I see things like that lovely looking bow, that I wonder if I could just cram one more hobby into my schedule. I can already hear my Mrs moaning to her mates if bow of any kind was sent to my door though sadly.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I need a longbow in my life! That is a thing of real beauty mate.
Fabulous piece of work and a credit to your skills.
If you do decide to move it on I hope that I'm solvent and ready to pounce.
Cheers , Simon

j111

Nov 18, 2011
Cambridge
Looks real good mate. Looks like a good thickness of sap wood, did you reduce it at all out of interest?

Cheers,

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
A true beaut, I keep telling myself to postpone my Bow build as I have to many project ahead of me for the coming summer already,
But you keep inviting the bowyer's bug into my system time after time ^^, great job Dwardo superb work.
Yours sincerely Ruud

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the kind words all.

J111 The sapwood was reduced although you dont need to chase a ring with yew, just make it nice and smooth. Wish I had more heatwood to play with on this one but it wasn't the best stave. Still only takes an inch and a half of follow relaxing to flat after half hour. It could have done with a little more bend in the outer limbs but I ran out of wood as I wanted it to stay heavy.

Sorry John, unless you want to trade me for car tax, wedding rings, bridesmaid dresses, you get the idea lol ;)
Offer is still open to help you make your own bow mate.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Fantastic work there and it looks like I will have to join a very long que to buy one

One day I will have a go at making one of these

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can be as quick as a few weeks/month or two. Or as long as you want years outside still in log form.
Either way if its dry its dry no matter how you get there. I fast season so roughing out to near bow dimensions then indoors for a few weeks/month in a warm room. My office at home has 3 computers running almost 24/7 not to mention the heating when its on. Its faster in the warmer months than in winter when the RH is constantly through the roof :( Takes an age to dry each coat of finish too, summer it can be four hours in-between finishes, this time of year its 24 if I am lucky.

Fast seasoning has its downsides too if your not careful such as checking and warping.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Going to have to try one, i can get some yew i think.
I'd rather experiment with yew from the start as opposed to other woods just in case it turns out not bad,love the colours of it.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Looks absolutely stunning mate! I need to make some more bodkins up to do it justice!

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE