Yew Character bow. Big pics beware.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

This is my latest yew character bow. Lumps bumps knots n all which made things very tricky all the way through the build.
Pulls about late 40`s at 27 which seems to be my new draw length.
It is 60 inches nock to nock with lightly flipped tips. Belly is flat at rest with the reflex in the tips lifted off the deck so little or no set which makes for a great string at brace tension.
Finish is Tru-oil which is a first for me and its great stuff. Very easy to apply and dries quick. Still needs another coat but it makes the wood look good enough to eat,,,well nearly.
The handle is dyed veg tan with an arrow shelf slipped in. Beginning to like a small arrow rest.
Looses and arrow very nice.

Nice creamy white back
IMAG0901_BURST002.jpg

Ember red belly.
P1010014-2.jpg

Braced
P1010019-2.jpg

IMAG0899_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0895_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0896_BURST002.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010026-1.jpg

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Great work as always mate. I've got two nice lengths of yew which I'd planned for a bow. You certainly aren't helping my craving for a bow from you mate.

One of the bits of yew is a bit like this though a tad more ...wavy. Lol.

All the best
andy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great work as always mate. I've got two nice lengths of yew which I'd planned for a bow. You certainly aren't helping my craving for a bow from you mate.

One of the bits of yew is a bit like this though a tad more ...wavy. Lol.

All the best
andy

Thanks,

Get some photos up of the staves and i can point you in the right direction. Would try to stay away from anything with too much character for your first bows as the craft is brain scratching enough without having to consider a load of knots, pins dips n bumps. Just let the character ones hide and cower in the corner of the shop for a few years ;)

Thanks too Woodspirits, we will have to sort that collaboration out one day for a carved handle n tips ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
For anyone wanting to make their own bow I am holding an unofficial bow making class this weekend at my local wood.
Great chance to get going with the craft. See my meets thread if anyone is interested but I will need to know by last thing tomorrow so I can sort some staves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE