Wind-up radio

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Since chaps with beards are going to detonate nbc's and I'll be retreating to my underground bunker, I'll be needing a clockwork radio to keep in touch with what's going on 'top side'!

What's good?
Where to buy?

For some reason :?: I don't like Trevor Bayliss, so a non-Bayliss version would be groovy. :naughty:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'm afraid I have to tell you that when I was looking for a wind-up radio, the Freeplay Ranger was by far the best unit possible. Can be powered by wind-up, solar, mains and 12 V. I've had one and a wind up torch for over 18 months and find them both excellent.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Adi007 said:
I'm afraid I have to tell you that when I was looking for a wind-up radio, the Freeplay Ranger was by far the best unit possible. Can be powered by wind-up, solar, mains and 12 V. I've had one and a wind up torch for over 18 months and find them both excellent.

Ah, I feared it would be so....
I'll just have to suppress my groundless, bizarre prejudice against the moustachioed one.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The reception on the Freeplay is also excellent, as is the dynamo and solar panel.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
There's a whole page of different ones here . (Actually there's a terrifying number of different radios on the entire site!)

:biggthump

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Ooo! Here's summat I've just thought of!
If we were looking at a nuclear strike, what waveband would be of most use? i.e. most likely to be still transmitting. (I know, I know - survivalist nutter etc!)
I'm thinking longwave or summat for distance reception - been a while since my emf days!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Lurch said:
Y'on commision?
:wink:
No - never found em until I just did a search for Trevor Bayliss. Weird to find a site that sells radios with valves in! Thought my time machine had worked!! :shock:
If we were looking at a nuclear strike, what waveband would be of most use? i.e. most likely to be still transmitting
Good question, Lurch ... I've always wondered that! What IS the emergency broadcast system in the UK? The Government information tells us to "Go In Stay In Tune In" but I haven't found out what we're actually supposed to tune in to??? :?:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
The Government information tells us to "Go In Stay In Tune In"
did you see the spoof site HM Department of Vague Paranoia
yelrotflmao.gif

Tant

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
EMP? Always store my radio in an anti static bag - not sure how much it would help though?! :?:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Wouldn't buy anything other than a Bayliss, as for post nuke - I wouldn't give a damn about a radio anyway, just head for the hills and go back to the stone age.

If you want reliablity and indestructability learn to make crystal sets from whatever's around. A broken silicon chip ought to make a good substitute for the crystal.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Les Marshall said:
What would be best post nuke, valve or solid state? I would have thought valve would be better as would not be susceptable to E.M.P :?:
Yep valve. I seem to remember a lot of military kit kept valves for longer than civvy stuff for just that reason

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dtalbot said:
Yep valve. I seem to remember a lot of military kit kept valves for longer than civvy stuff for just that reason

When the USA had a look at a state of the art Russian fighter they laughed because it had valves in some critical gear---then the penny dropped.

Terrorists won't be able to set off a TND,only some semtex with hot material attached.The resulting radiation won't screw up semiconductors so your tranny will still work. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE